Last Words

Bucky knew he wasn't going to survive. Super soldier or not, nobody survives that many stab wounds. And the only thing worse than him bleeding out and dying alone was the knowledge that Steve was going to be broken when he found out. He could see it now: an officer knocking on the door of their house, telling him the news, and Steve shattering.

He didn't want him to find out that way. He didn't want Steve to wonder what his last thoughts or words were.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket, gasping for breath as the movement made the bleeding intensify. He quickly dialed Steve's number, waiting as the phone rang. Steve didn't answer; he was reading a book on the couch and his phone was charging in their bedroom.

Bucky heard the voicemail message begin and he cussed under his breath. The one time he needed Steve to answer the phone.

After the voicemail message stopped, Bucky began talking, recording a message Steve would never delete. "Hey doll, I, uh, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. Well, it's worse than that but...Stevie I'm not going to make it home to you alive. I'm sorry, but I'm very certain this is the end of the line. I love you. I love you so, so much, honey. I'm so sorry I'm leaving you. We've had a lot of time together but it still doesn't feel like enough...." he stopped to catch his breath, all of the talking getting to him. He felt dizzy and lightheaded so he squeezed his eyes shut, clutched the phone tighter, and kept talking for Steve.

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me, Steve. I need you to stay strong without me. Don't do anything stupid until I get back.." he chuckled lightly only to end up choking and coughing up blood. When he regained his composure, he continued talking.

"I'm not scared of dying, I want you to know. I want you to know I didn't die scared or lonely. Talking to you is what makes me happiest so I need you to know I'm dying happy. Happy to talk to you, happy to love you, happy to have danced with you, happy to be your husband, happy just because of you...."

His breathing was ragged now and he knew the end was near. He could feel his body shutting down and consciousness leaving him. This was it.

"I'm sorry, Steve, but I think my time is up. This is the end of the line, pal. I love you." Bucky dropped the phone to the pavement as consciousness finally left him.