Mine

"What about these? Do you ever wear these anymore?" Steve asked, holding up a pair of jeans from their closet. Steve had decided that their weekend project should be to clean out their closets and donate their old clothes.

Bucky was lying on the bed with his head hanging upside down off the edge. He wasn't fond of this task, but Steve was doing all the work. All he had to do was tell him which clothes could be gotten rid of and which must be kept.

"No." He replied, watching Steve toss them into the 'donate' pile.

"Okay this one may just need thrown away." Steve spoke, pulling a tattered button-up flannel shirt from the very back of the closet.

"No!" Bucky vetoed immediately, flipping backwards off the bed and landing in a heap in the floor. "Keep."

Steve looked at him confused, holding the shirt up for both of them to look closer at it. "Honey, there's so many holes in it and it's got stains all over it. You have so many nicer shirts."

"But I love that shirt." He stayed firm, shaking his head defiantly and reaching for the shirt.

"Okay. Why?" He asked curiously, giving the garment to Bucky's grabby hands.

Bucky smiled, holding the shirt to chest. "Because it's mine."

"What? All of your clothes are yours." He pointed out, not quite understanding Bucky's explanation.

"Yeah but this one is mine." He pulled the fabric to his face and inhaled its scent. It smelled like him, the him he was allowed to be when he was free. When he wasn't being frozen or abused or manipulated. When he could buy, wear, and do what he wanted.

"I don't understand." Steve was still lost, abandoning the task at hand and sitting on the floor across from him.

"It's not just a shirt. It's the first thing I got that was my own. It's mine. I like it, I'm keeping it even if I can't really wear it anymore." He made his explanation make more sense this time.

"I didn't know that. Where'd you get it?" He asked curiously, surprised there was anything he didn't know about Bucky's life by now.

"After pulling you from the river, I ended up finding a homeless shelter and they gave this one to me. I didn't have to give it back, it wasn't anyone else's, it was mine."

"How long did you stay in DC after that whole thing? I thought you went right to Romania."

"Yeah but I had to find something to wear aside from the Winter Soldier uniform and I went to the Smithsonian to learn who you were and who I even was. Within a few days, I was on a boat to Europe." He explained casually, his thinking having been strictly strategic at the time.

"I didn't know you took a boat to Europe." He spoke, surprised to hear even more details about his husband's life that he hadn't previously known.

"How was I going to fly? Couldn't even make it through a metal detector. Plus, I had to be on a no-fly list somewhere." He laughed, standing up and replacing the shirt in the closet. "The shirt stays."

"The shirt stays." Steve agreed, standing up and pulling Bucky to him by his belt loop. "I love you."

"I love you." Bucky kissed Steve before pulling away with a smile. "Can we be done with going through clothes? I'm so bored."

Steve laughed, letting go of Bucky's belt loop. "Yes."

"Good, I want tacos. Let's go." He led the way out of their room.

"What?" Steve laughed, following him to the kitchen where he was putting his shoes on. "What are you doing?"

"What are we doing? We're going to get tacos, I was pretty clear about that." He smiled, grabbing his car keys with one hand and grabbing Steve's hand with the other. "Come on."

Steve continued to laugh as Bucky pulled him out the door. "You're such a goof."

"Yeah but I'm your goof." He laughed.

"Mine."

I kinda hate this