Sleep

Bucky was exhausted. He hadn't been sleeping much because he'd been having trouble falling asleep and when he did, nightmares just woke him right back up.

Steve knew about this and had been trying everything he could think of to help. It had been a week and he was about out of ideas. Exercising and tiring him out didn't help. Warm milk didn't help. Meditation and mindfulness didn't help. Relaxing music, aromatherapy, melatonin — none of it helped. He was this close to just having Bruce sedate him.

Bucky, of course, didn't want Bruce to sedate him for him to be able to get some rest so that was a very last resort for them to turn to.

Bucky sighed heavily as he rolled over uncomfortably in bed. He instinctively went to check the clock before remembering Steve took it out of the room in an attempt to help him fall asleep. He groaned and rubbed his eyes, longing desperately for sleep. It was only 9:30 pm and he had been laying in bed for an hour trying to sleep.

"No luck falling asleep?" Steve asked softly, walking into the room quietly.

Bucky shook his head. "No. This is ridiculous."

Steve sat beside him and laid a hand on his cheek. "Wanna go for a ride? I was going to take a drive."

Bucky leaned into the touch and nodded. "Yeah, I'll go with you."

Steve kissed his forehead and helped drag him up. They got in the car and Steve began driving to nowhere in particular. He kept the radio low and drove smoothly, doing his best to avoid any potholes or bumps.

They rode in peaceful silence, just enjoying the ride. Eventually though, Steve began hearing a noise besides the radio: snoring. He looked over and saw Bucky was asleep now.

Steve smiled, feeling like he accomplished something big. They were nearly home now though so he knew he would have to carry him inside without waking him.

When he pulled into the garage, Steve quietly pocketed the keys and got out. He opened Bucky's door and gingerly removed his seatbelt. He then put one arm under Bucky's knees and one arm around his shoulders and carefully lifted him from the car.

Steve did his best not to make any sound as he carried him, wanting to ensure that he stayed asleep. When he turned the corner to walk into their bedroom, he accidentally ran Bucky's head into the wall.

Steve grimaced, looking down and expecting to see his husband waking up. Instead, he saw that he was still asleep. Or wait, did he knock him out? No, he didn't hit the wall that hard.

He entered the room and laid Bucky in bed, taking his shoes off and setting them quietly in the closet. He quickly readied himself for bed and laid down beside Bucky.

He fell asleep and for the first time in a week, they were both sleeping during the night like normal. Of course, it didn't last. Around 3:30, Bucky began whimpering, breathing heavy, and tossing and turning.

Steve woke up at the sounds and movement, hating that he knew exactly what he had to do: wake him up. Bucky had made him promise that, no matter what, if he could tell he was having a nightmare, he would wake him up. He said there was no point in letting him stay in the torture of his dreams when it would just wake him up inevitably. Why prolong it?

So, Steve laid a hand on his chest. "Buck, you're having a nightmare. Wake up, babe."

Bucky jolted awake, realizing after a moment that he was safe. He then realized that he was awake again. He rubbed his eyes and groaned. "Damnit. I was finally asleep."

Steve pulled Bucky into his arms, holding him and softly playing with his hair. "Don't overthink it. Close your eyes."

Bucky closed his eyes and listened as Steve began humming I See The Light from Tangled. Within minutes, Bucky was back asleep and Steve felt an enormous sense of relief that he had been able to help get him back to sleep. He kissed his head softly before closing his own eyes and going back to sleep, too.