Another Battle

"You're an unbelievable prick." Bucky scoffed, shaking his head at Steve. A simple argument over something neither even remembers anymore had escalated and now both Steve and Bucky were way past biting their tongues.

"Oh that's rich coming from you." Steve shot back, looking him over, glancing too long at his metal arm, and making Bucky insecure. They knew how to make each other upset and neither was holding back.

"You know what? I don't need this! I don't need you! I don't have to be in a relationship, I choose to and right now, you're making me regret it!" He steamed.

"Oh, I'm so lucky to be in a relationship with you." Steve exaggerated. "So, so lucky that the assassin chose me to settle down with."

Too far. They both knew it. There were a lot of things that could be said in a fight, but there was an unspoken list of certain items that were not to be brought up. The first and foremost on said list was Bucky's past.

Before he knew what he was doing, Bucky moved to slap Steve. He stopped himself mere inches from his cheek, both of them shocked.

"Go ahead, hit me." Steve challenged after the initial shock. "You've shot me before, beat me up, tried to kill me. What's one more hit?"

Bucky curled his hand into a fist, dropping it by his side. He stopped talking, stopped moving aside from his heavy breathing. Steve knew he'd gone way too far and remained silent as well.

Bucky shook his head after a few moments and ran his hand over his face, wiping away tears before they could fall. "I'm sorry. I don't remember why we started fighting but whatever it was, you win. Now leave me alone." He walked away and went to their room, shutting and locking the door before sitting against it with his head buried in his hands. 

Steve took a moment to regain his composure. What the hell was wrong with him? Why did he say the horrible things he said? Sure he'd been upset, but over what exactly? Neither even knew anymore. All Steve knew was he said horrible things and needed to apologize.

He went to their room and saw the door shut. He tried the knob, but discovered it was locked. "Bucky, I'm sorry."

"Go away." Bucky sniffled, giving away the fact that he was crying.

Steve sighed softly and sat on the floor, leaning against the opposite side of door. "I wish we could restart this day."

Bucky was quiet for a few moments, his sniffling the only sound traveling through the door. After Steve thought he wasn't going to say anything, Bucky spoke up. "Relationships are supposed to be a safe place, not another battle to fight. I don't want another battle to fight."

"I don't want this relationship to be another battle to fight either. I'm sorry for what I said, I shouldn't have and I didn't mean any of it. I am lucky you choose to be in a relationship with me and the real you, Bucky Barnes not the Winter Soldier, has never hurt me before."

"I'm sorry I almost...hit you." Bucky's voice broke, the reality setting in for him as he began to cry harder. "I promised to never-to never hurt you!"

"You didn't, Buck. But with the things I was saying, you should've."

"No! No matter what, I vowed to not to hurt you!" He cried, punching the ground with his flesh hand in frustration.

"Bucky, you kept your vow. You didn't hurt me." Steve assured him, wishing the door was unlocked so he could give him a hug. "We're okay. I'm not mad, I promise. I understand if you're mad at me, but I'm not mad at you. I love you and I'm sorry." 

"I-I'm sorry, too." He whimpered, wiping his eyes and taking a shaky breath in an attempt to stop himself from crying anymore. "Are we okay?"

"Yes, babe, we're okay. We both said things we regret, we both apologized, I think it's time to move forward. Can you open the door now?"

Bucky unlocked the door and moved from behind it, letting it swing open. The couple locked eyes and tears began falling down both of their cheeks.

"There's my guy." Steve smiled softly, tears falling from his cheeks.

Bucky sniffled before lunging forward, clinging onto Steve tightly. "I'm so sorry."

Steve hugged him back, kissing his neck. "I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have said anything I did, I was just mad. I didn't mean any of it."

"I didn't mean anything I said either."

"This relationship isn't going to be another battle to fight, okay? I don't remember what we started fighting about, but we can make the changes we need to go make sure it doesn't happen again, right?"

Bucky nodded, leaning his head up to kiss Steve. "I love you."

"I love you too. Should we go have makeup sex now?" He chuckled, having been joking unless Bucky was actually down for it.

Bucky smirked, briefly considering before nodding. "Let's go, Captain."