Silly Goose

"Bucky! Bucky, Bucky, Bucky, Bucky, Bucky!" Steve called out excitedly as he walked back into the house, tossing his keys on the counter.

Bucky hurried into the kitchen to see what Steve was yelling about. "What? What? What?" He responded as he walked in before freezing at the sight he was met with.

"Look!" Steve giggled like a child, holding up the surprise in his hands.

"What did you do?" Bucky asked in shock, his jaw dropped still.

"Hehehe I bought a duck!" He stroked the small bird's head. "Look at the little guy."

"You bought a duck?" He shook his head and ran a hand through his hair exasperated. "Steve, you were supposed to pick up dinner."

"Oh yeah, well see I passed a pet store and they were selling these little guys so I got him and then forgot about dinner. But who needs to eat when we could play with our new pet duck?" He smiled as the duck quacked.

"What the hell are we going to do with a duck? Let it grow then put it in a pot?"

Steve gasped, pulling the duck to his chest protectively. "We're not going to eat him! We're going to love him."

Bucky blinked, at a loss for words.

"What should we name him? Donald? Louie? Ooh, ooh, James Pond." He spoke excitedly as Bucky stared at him like he was crazy.

"We're not naming it because we're aren't keeping it. People living in the city don't have pet ducks, you insane person."

"Well, we do." He shrugged. "Come on, James Pond, I'll show you around."

Bucky watched with his mouth still agape, not at all sure what to think of his husband's latest antics. After Steve gave the duck a full tour of their home, he returned to the kitchen.

"Okay, you're not serious, right? This is a joke?"

"Why would I joke about finding a new pet? James Pond is a great addition to the family." He spoke seriously before throwing his keys at Bucky. "Go get the duck food out of the trunk."

"Huh?" He caught the keys.

"Unless you want to start potty training him."

"I'll go get the food, I guess." He walked out the door with his head spinning. Who buys a pet duck without at least running it by their husband?

He opened Steve's trunk and nearly jumped out of his skin when balloons flew up. He looked down and, attached to the balloons was a sign that read, "April Fools!"

He turned around to see Steve laughing hysterically from the window. He marched back into the house and faced him.

"You little shit." He tried to stay serious but, with Steve's incessant giggles, he was failing. "This is how you prank me? Pretending to buy a pet duck?"

"It's from Clint's farm. He wants him back. His name really is James Pond, though." Steve explained through his laughter, setting the duck in the sink.

"Great, where is he? He can take it back now." A smile crossed his face despite trying to be mad about it.

"He's coming in an hour. You should've seen your face. You-you thought I was serious!" He continued laughing, doubled over now and holding his side.

"No I thought you were crazy."

"Thought I was a silly goose, did ya?" He laughed harder at his own joke. Bucky laughed despite himself, pulling Steve into his arms.

"You're an unbelievably silly goose." He laughed, kissing his head as they laughed in each other's arms.