Stay Awake

Bucky woke up in the middle of the night and instinctively looked for Steve beside him. The space beside him was empty however. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, noticing a light still on and shining in the doorway.

He groggily got up and followed it, finding Steve in the office doing a puzzle. "Aren't you coming to bed? It's late." He leaned against the doorframe.

Steve shrugged, continuing to work on the puzzle in front of him. "Not yet, I wanna finish this."

Bucky strained his neck to peer around Steve at the puzzle. The border and part of the middle were done but there were still many pieces left. "There's still a lot left of that puzzle, doll. It's 2:30 am. Please come to bed."

"No, it's only a 750 piece puzzle. I can do it tonight." He insisted, smiling proudly as he placed another piece.

"Steve, come on. This will be here for you in the morning." Bucky approached him and gently pulled him out of the chair.

"But I wanna finish." He whined like a child, looking back towards the puzzle longingly as Bucky guided him out of the room.

"I know but it's time to go to bed. It's actually past time to go to bed. Let's go, big guy." He smiled, dragging him by the arm as Steve continued to pout.

"Fine, I'll go to bed but I'm not going to sleep." He decided stubbornly as they got to their room.

Bucky chuckled, shaking his head as he playfully shoved Steve on the bed. "Don't be like that."

"No, I'm not sleeping. You can make me get in bed but you can't make me sleep." He crossed his arms as he sat against the headboard.

"Okay, you've officially reached the Extremely Stubborn level of exhaustion." He said as he got in bed beside him. "Will you at least cuddle me if you won't go to sleep? I've been lonely in here sleeping by myself."

"Fine." He agreed after a moment of consideration, one that Bucky couldn't determine whether was real or dramatized.

Steve laid down a bit in order to take Bucky into his arms. Bucky snuggled up against him, purposely 'readjusting' so that Steve was more in his arms than the other way around.

"Stay awake, don't rest your head." Bucky began to sing the song from Mary Poppins softly.

"That won't work." Steve stifled a yawn obstinately.

"Don't lie down upon your bed, while the moon drifts in the skies, stay awake, don't close your eyes." Bucky continued before hearing light snoring escaping his husband. "So damn stubborn." He mumbled with a chuckle before laying against Steve and closing his eyes.

—————

In the morning, Bucky woke up and saw Steve still sleeping. He watched him peacefully for a few moments before his eyes opened.

"Morning, handsome." Bucky smiled, taking a mental picture of Steve's messy hair and sleepy eyes.

"You tricked me. You can't sing Disney lullabies when I'm trying to stay awake." He chastised him playfully, rolling over and landing in Bucky's arms.

"Sorry doll, it won't happen again for at least 12 hours." He kissed his cheek as he held him tight. "I know you're eager to finish that puzzle, but would you like to wait just a little longer and go on a breakfast date with me?"

Steve pretended to consider it deeply before smiling and nodding. "Of course, baby."