Angry Fix

"Hey baby." Bucky smiled, sitting on the couch beside Steve and kissing his cheek.

Steve set down the book he was reading and looked at his husband. "Hey. What're you doing?"

"Just thinking about our trip to Disneyland." He said dreamily before watching as Steve's face change to oh-shit. "What? What's wrong?"

"The trip, I forgot. I just took a new mission and I'll be gone that day." Steve explained. "I'm sorry, Bucky. Maybe we can go another time."

Bucky sighed, frustrated that Steve accepted yet another mission after just returning the previous night. "You can't just keep accepting missions and leaving for weeks and missing every chance you and I have to do things together!"

"This is my job, Bucky! My job is to save people and I do that on missions. I'm sorry if you don't like it or feel jealous that I go on more missions than you but-"

"Excuse me?" Bucky cut him off, his voice dangerously low as he grew furious. "I'm jealous that you go on more missions? Do you know how many missions I went on against my will for seventy years? I am sick and tired of missions and I understand that you aren't, but to accuse me of being jealous of you for it?" He shook his head, standing up from the couch. "Good luck on your mission, pal."

Bucky stormed off, leaving Steve alone in the living room.

—————

"Hey! Quit angry-fixing the sink before I have to actually fix it." Tony called to Bucky, who was laying half underneath the kitchen sink on the main floor and loudly "fixing" the pipes.

It had become his habit. When Bucky was mad and felt like a situation was out of his control, he tried to fix things in order to take back some sense of control. The others had noticed and coined it as "angry-fixing." They could now tell when Bucky was frustrated because he had taken to angry-fixing as his go-to coping mechanism.

"Why are you angry-fixing again? What happened?" Sam asked, sitting on the countertop and eating an apple.

"I'm not angry-fixing, I'm just fixing." Bucky defended himself, continuing the clanging that was coming from under the sink.

Clint walked into the kitchen with the bathroom sink faucet in his hand. "Hey Tony, this-oh! Bucky's angry fixing things again, that explains it. This came off." He explained, handing it to Tony, who in turn shot Bucky a glare.

"It's not broken, I just wasn't done with it yet." Bucky informed them.

"What's up? What's going on with you? Are you not getting enough attention?" Sam asked, partly teasing and partly genuinely concerned.

Bucky sighed, setting the tools down and sitting up from under the sink. "Steve took another mission and now can't go on our trip to Disneyland, which we planned last year for our anniversary."

"Sorry, man. That blows." Sam sympathized.

"But that's not why your angry-fixing, is it?" Tony inquired, joining Sam on the countertop and drinking another cup of coffee.

"He said I was jealous that he goes on more missions than me, even though I spent 70 years being forced on missions and don't find the same sense of importance or thrill or whatever he gets out of them." Bucky explained as he stood up from the floor and turned the sink on to wash his hands.

"Ouch, that's colder than the ice he spent 70 years in." Tony remarked with a smirk.

"I may be mad at him, but I love him and I'll still kick your ass if you talk about him like that." Bucky warned, drying his hands and tossing the towel at Tony.

"Understood." He nodded, throwing the towel back at him.

"Cool off then go back to your guys' floor. You know Steve, I'm sure he didn't mean for it to come out that way. He's probably up there kicking himself over the whole situation." Sam reminded the group. "I'm sure he didn't want to hurt you or make you upset. His words probably just came out wrong."

"Yeah, sometimes people don't mean what they say. Like when Laura said we were done having kids and nine months later, Nathaniel popped out." Clint shrugged. Bucky sighed and nodded, finding that the group made some good points.

"Alright, I guess I'll go talk to him." He decided, leaving the group and heading towards the elevator.

"Don't think you won't be billed for breaking my faucets." Tony called after him, beginning to actually fix the kitchen sink.

"Put it on my tab." Bucky yelled back as the elevator doors shut.

Upstairs, Bucky found Steve on their bed with his face in Bucky's pillow, his body shaking as he cried.

"That's my pillow, get your own." Bucky teased lightly, sitting on the bed beside him.

"Sorry. It smells like you." Steve sniffled, moving off of his husband's pillow and burying his face in his own. Bucky felt bad that Steve was crying, even though their little fight was kinda his fault.

"Know what else smells like me? Me. Come here." He said, pulling him into his arms and holding Steve tight against his chest.

"I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean what I said. It just came out wrong. I know you're not jealous and I-I shouldn't have even said anything. You were right. I'm sorry. And-and I tried to back out of the mission but Fury won't let me now. I didn't mean to screw up our trip. I'm-I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Bucky." Steve cried into his shirt, feeling horrible about what he said and did.

"Shh, it's okay." Bucky rubbed his back to try and calm him down. After all, it wasn't that big of a deal. The words came out wrong and trips can be rescheduled. "I'm not upset with you. I made too big of a deal out of it. We're okay."

"Are you sure?" He sniffled, looking up at Bucky's face. Bucky smiled back at him, kissing his forehead.

"Yes, I'm sure. Would you like to help me reschedule the trip?"

Steve nodded, resting his head back on his chest. "I love you."

"I love you too, doll."