Summertime Sickness

Steve woke up and rubbed his eyes before smiling as he saw the sun already shining through the window. It was the beginning of summer and the temperatures had just begun getting hot. The couple had plans to go to the lake with their friends and hang out on a boat that day.

He rolled over and saw his husband still asleep, but also noticed he was shivering, breathing heavier, and snoring louder than usual.

"Please don't be sick. Please don't be sick." He begged softly as he gently rested a hand on his forehead. He pulled away after feeling how warm he was and sighed. "You're sick."

Of course he was sick. Bucky tended to get sick every time the weather changed from cold to hot. Steve guessed it had something to do with being frozen and exposed almost exclusively to the cold for years. Bucky guessed it was just bad luck.

Bucky suddenly stirred, beginning to wake up and immediately whimpering in discomfort. Before he opened his eyes he reached his arm out and found Steve, clutching onto his shirt.

"What hurts, babe?" Steve asked softly, holding his hand and running his fingers through his hair.

"Everything." He whined, curling his body against Steve and hiding his face in his side.

"Oh, bubba." Steve sighed, feeling sorry for his husband. "What feels the worst?"

"My throat and my head." His voice was raspy and strained as talking made the aching worsen.

"Here, take a sip." He grabbed a water bottle from the nightstand and held it out for Bucky. He picked his head up a bit and let Steve put the bottle to his lips.

After taking a few sips, he laid back down on Steve's chest. "This is stupid." He complained with a pout as his husband played with his hair.

"What is?"

"Being sick. It's summer!" He whined with a sniffle as he crawled entirely on top of Steve. "Make it go away."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. If I could, I would."

Bucky let out a nasty cough before burying his face in Steve's neck. "We're still going on the boat today." He decided stubbornly.

"I don't know if that's a good idea, honey. You really don't look good." Steve spoke hesitantly, playing with Bucky's hair. "I think you're better off resting today."

"I can rest on the boat. We made these plans weeks ago. We're going." He sniffled before coughing again. "Let's go, we have to meet at the dock by 9."

Steve sighed, knowing he wouldn't win an argument with his hard-headed husband right now. "Okay, we'll go."

Steve got up to get ready and Bucky rolled over, shoving his face in his pillow. Steve went about putting on his swim trunks and tossing towels and sunscreen in a bag before he went back to see Bucky hadn't moved.

He thought maybe he had fallen asleep and was about to text Sam that they weren't coming when Bucky groaned. "Where's my water pants?" He mumbled.

"Your swim trunks are right here." Steve explained, setting them down beside him. "Baby, we don't have to go today. You're really sick."

"We're going." He said, beginning to change into his bathing suit as he remained laying down on the bed. When he finished, he reached up towards Steve with grabby hands.

Steve chuckled at the actions before picking him up. Bucky wrapped his arms and legs around him and Steve grabbed their stuff before going to the car.

The whole ride to the dock Bucky slept laying down in the back seat, shivering under a beach towel he was using as a blanket. When they got there, Steve pulled into a parking spot next to Sam at the same time.