Phantom Headaches

"Alright, we got the suits for the gala next weekend. And there is a bookstore right down the road. Wanna check it out?" Steve asked Bucky as they left the tailor's and walked to the parking lot.

Bucky's head was pounding slightly, aching the worst in the back of his head, around his right cheek, and his left eye. This kept happening to him lately: he would get intense headaches and pain in the spots where the metal used to clamp down on his face as Hydra wiped his brain. Bruce explained it as a phantom pain response but Bucky didn't care what he called it, all he knew was it hurt. He of course hadn't told Steve about it though because he convinced himself he was being a baby about it and could deal with it on his own.

"Yeah, sure." He smiled through the pain, placing their suits in the backseat before getting into the passenger seat.

Steve smiled and got in the driver's seat, beginning the drive towards the bookstore. He didn't notice that Bucky wasn't feeling great because Bucky excelled at hiding his feelings when he wanted to.

For nearly an hour, Steve wandered aisle after aisle of the bookstore. He got lost in the wonder and ended up with an arm full of books to buy.

When he finally couldn't hold anymore books, he went to find Bucky. He headed over to the fiction section, where Bucky usually scouted out books, but didn't see him. He wandered the other aisles and couldn't seem to find his husband.

He checked out with his books before pulling out his phone and calling him.

"Hey." Bucky answered his phone softly, pulling himself up from the bench he had been slumped on in front of the store.

"Hi, where are you? I bought a ton of books." He asked as he exited the store and saw Bucky standing against the brick wall. "Oh, hey." He smiled as he ended the call and pocketed his phone.

"Did you find some good ones?" Bucky asked, ignoring the throbbing in his face and head.

"Yeah, I did. You didn't find anything you wanted?" He asked as they began walking back to the car.

Bucky shook his head slightly, stopping the movement immediately as it made the pain worse. "Not today." He shrugged, getting in the car and hoping Steve would be ready to go back home.

"Wanna go to the park? It's beautiful out today."

Bucky wanted to scream but instead he shrugged. "Sure."

They went to the park and sat in the shade under a tree. Steve read one of his new books as Bucky laid with his head in his husband's lap. His head continued to ache worse and worse, pounding painfully, and finally he just couldn't take it anymore. This intense level of pain was the same as when he would beg Hydra to stop.

"Steve, can we go back home?" He asked quietly, looking up at him and watching his face grow concerned. A tear found it's way down Bucky's cheek and Steve grew panicked.

"Of course, honey. What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked, setting his book down and running his fingers through Bucky's hair gently before feeling his forehead and cheeks for a fever.

"No." He admitted, leaning into Steve's touch.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. What's wrong?" He asked, picking Bucky up and holding him in his arms.

Bucky gently laid his head on Steve's shoulder and didn't say anything.

"Bucky, what's wrong?" Steve repeated worriedly, rubbing his back soothingly. He was terrified and panicked, especially after seeing tears on Bucky's face. He needed to know what was going on.

"I...don't get mad. Please." He whimpered, squeezing his eyes shut to combat the sudden sharp rise in pain intensity.

"Okay, baby, just let me in. Tell me what's happening." He practically begged.