Big Topic, Little Mind

So I work at with preschoolers and also saw a TikTok that inspired this oneshot. In this, Steve and Bucky have a four year old son, Mason.

⚠️ TW: suicide talk

"Steve, Mason's teacher called me. We have a problem." Bucky said, approaching Steve in the grocery store. The pair had split up to get what they needed and, as Bucky was getting ice cream, Mason's teacher called.

"What? What's wrong? What kind of problem? Is he okay?" He spoke quickly, always worried about their four year old.

"He's okay. He-it's a big topic and I don't know where he learned it. He was asking another kid about it but the teacher redirected him. We have to talk to him about it." He explained, fighting the urge to not just go pick their son up from preschool.

"What was the topic?" All of the possibilities were running through his mind as he led the way to the self checkout machine to get out of there.

"Suicide." He sighed softly.

Steve choked on his breath, a strained sound coming from his throat. "How does-what? He was talking about....? What the hell?"

"I don't know." He shook his head. "How do we talk to him about it? What do-what do we tell him?"

————

That afternoon, the dads picked their son up from school together. As they walked to the car, Mason walked between them holding both of their hands with his Avengers backpack hanging off of his shoulders.

"Buddy, we need to talk to you about something." Steve started, looking at their son.

"Is it about suicide?" He asked, his voice full of innocence that both fathers wanted to remain forever. "I asked Olivia at school and Miss Gina heard and said I should ask you guys about it instead."

"Y-yeah buddy, that's what we wanted to talk about." Bucky confirmed, looking over to Steve for strength. Steve nodded at him before clearing his throat as they got to the car.

"What do you know about it?" Steve asked him as Mason climbed into the backseat and began buckling himself in.

"It means a person makes themself die because they're not happy living." He stated matter-of-factly as Steve made sure the buckle on his car seat was correct.

The dads got in the car and took a collective deep breath. "You're right. Do you have any questions about it?" Steve asked, not fully knowing what he was supposed to do or say.

"Why do people do it? I'm sad sometimes but I don't kill myself. I just take a deep breath, take some space to myself, and do things that make me feel better." He pondered, his young mind not fully grasping the subject.

Bucky grabbed Steve's hand and squeezed it as he drove. "Well, you know how people can have the flu, or a broken bone?"

Mason nodded. "Like when my tummy hurt after eating too much ice cream with Uncle Sam."

"Yeah, like that." Bucky confirmed. "Sometimes people's brains can get sick with something called depression and it makes them feel really, really bad. They feel really, really bad and sad for a long time and, sometimes, they kill themselves. But not always. People with depression don't always do that. There's medicine and ways to help make their brains heal and feel better again."

"But if they can heal, why do people with depression do suicide?" He asked, his head tilted sideways in confusion.

Steve thought for a moment about how to answer. "Well, you know how sometimes it can embarrassing to tell someone you're sick? Like if your belly wasn't feeling good at school and you had diarrhea, you might feel embarrassed to tell someone?"

Mason nodded, fully understanding that part as it had happened to him not long ago.

"That's what it's like for some people when their brains are sick. People don't always say when their brains are sick because they're embarrassed. But I want you to know that you never have to be embarrassed to talk to me and dad about it." Steve assured him, giving him a smile.

"Have you or Dad had sick brains before?" He asked.

Bucky took a deep breath. "Yeah buddy, we both have. But we healed from it because we talked about it and went to therapy and took medicine that helped us."

"Oh. I'm glad you guys didn't suicide yourselves. I love you and I hope your brains are always not sick." He told them sweetly, looking out the window as they drove.

The dads exchanged smiles, silently agreeing that their son was the best child ever as their hearts melted.

"Mase, where did you hear about suicide?" Steve asked curiously as Bucky pulled the car into their driveway and parked.

"I heard Uncle Sam talk on the phone with someone about it. He said it was never the answer and that killing yourself wouldn't solve any problems." He explained as he got out of the car, lugging his backpack out behind him. "Then he told his friend he was proud of him and that he made the right choice."

The fathers looked at each other with wide eyes, piecing together that, while he was babysitting, one of Sam's friends must've called when they were low.

"Were you spying on Uncle Sam when he was talking to this friend?" Steve asked suspiciously, having a feeling that Sam wouldn't have this conversation with Mason knowingly listening.

"Maybe." He smiled innocently as Bucky opened the door to their house.

"Mason Samuel, you know it's wrong to spy on people." Bucky chastised as he tossed the keys on the counter.

"Yeah, but it's so fun. I feel like a superhero when I spy on people. Like when I see you and Pops wrestle in bed." He giggled, putting his backpack down and getting his toys out.

Steve and Bucky looked at each other in silent panic.

"We're getting a better lock for our door." Steve muttered.