Chaotic Family

Bucky and Steve have three kids and can hardly keep up with them. Mason, 12, Avery, 7, and Jack, 2.

Bucky was exasperated. He'd been trying unsuccessfully to get his and Steve's two year old to sleep for over an hour and a half now.

"Jack, lay down." He tried again, sitting in the rocking chair beside Jack's crib.

"You a dumbass." Jack giggled as he jumped up and down in his crib, repeating what he had heard Steve jokingly tell Bucky earlier that day.

Bucky sighed, leaning his head against the back of the chair. "Yeah, Daddy is a dumbass. Daddy is the one who suggested the third kid." He muttered under his breath.

"Daddy, play cars." Jack demanded, beginning to climb out of the crib to get to his toy cars.

Bucky guided Jack back into his crib, not letting him climb out. "No. We are not playing. It is bed time. You need to lay down and go to sleep." He got stern, sounding meaner than he had intended. He grimaced afterwards, feeling guilty for how he spoke.

Jack simply glared at him, his face illuminated by his nightlight. "I gonna fuck you up."

"Good god, you are a spawn of Satan." He rubbed his eyes, completely out of patience. Just then, Steve walked in.

"Did he just tell you he was going to fuck you up?" Steve asked him, kneeling beside the rocking chair.

Bucky laughed, because if he didn't laugh, he would cry. "Yes he did. The kid is spending way too much time around Sam. And Tony. And pretty much everyone in this compound."

"Clint tried to warn us that that third kid would be built different." Steve laughed lightly. "Tap out for a bit, you need a break."

Bucky took a deep breath. "Okay. Where are the other two? They need to go to bed now, too."

"I just helped Avery get ready for bed, she should be in her room reading. Pretty sure Mason is in the living room finishing homework." Steve reported as the couple switched spots.

"See you on the other side." Bucky sighed before leaving the nursery, off to find their middle child.

"Till we meet again." Steve replied as he watched him walk out of the room.

He went to Avery's room and expected to see her in her bed reading. Instead, he saw her sitting on the floor in the middle of her room with blood gushing from her nose.

"Oh my god! What happened?" He panicked, grabbing tissues from her nightstand to hold to her bleeding nose.

"I was going to pick out a book to read and I tripped and hit my face on my nightstand." She explained, unfazed by the alarming amount of blood she was losing.

"Honey." He sighed, not surprised in the least but still frustrated by how this night was going. "Hey Mason! Bring me a roll of paper towels and an ice pack!" He called to his oldest.

Mason quickly came in with the items, his eyes widening at the sight of his sister. "What did she do now?"

"I tripped and hit my face on my nightstand." She told him as Bucky ditched the tissues for paper towels, which were more absorbent of the blood that was still pouring from his daughter's face.

"Jack, get back here!" Steve suddenly yelled as Jack took off running down the hallway past Avery's room. Steve began chasing the toddler, who had squirmed out of his arms while he was trying to rock him, and froze at the scene in Avery's room.

"What happened to her?!" He yelled, alarmed by the blood.

"She tripped." Bucky and Mason answered simultaneously as a loud crash was heard from the kitchen.

"Mason, go get Bruce." Steve said before taking off towards the kitchen to wrangle Jack back to his room. Before Mason moved, Jack could be heard screeching demonically.

"Call a priest while you're at it. Jack clearly needs an exorcism." Bucky shook his head at the sound as Steve carried the boy back to his room mid-tantrum.

"This family is a goddamn nightmare." Mason mumbled as he turned to go find Bruce.

"Language!" Steve yelled over his shoulder. Mason sighed and continued on his was to find Bruce.

———————

After another hour full of screaming, blood, and regrets, the two youngest kids were finally asleep. Steve and Bucky walked to the kitchen where Mason was still up doing homework.

"Who the hell talked us into having kids?" Bucky spoke, feeling more worn down than ever before as he grabbed a beer from the fridge. Even though the alcohol wouldn't have the same effect on him as non-super soldiers, it still appealed to him.

"I was fine with two. You're the one who pushed for the third." Steve reminded him yet again, looking him over. "You're covered in our daughter's blood."

"I know. I don't have the energy to wash it off." He sighed, sitting down at the table beside Mason.

"That's sanitary." Mason deadpanned sarcastically, not looking up from his homework.

Bucky chuckled. "You're still doing homework?"

"Yeah. I finished my math and English that's due Monday. Now I'm working on my social studies project. It's about a famous person and their impact on society." He explained excitedly.

"You gonna write it about Dad?" Bucky asked with a smile, looking at Steve with admiration.

"My teacher told me I can't do it about either one of you because it would be too easy." He explained. "Which is kind of true. So I'm thinking I might do it on Tony because he's made some big contributions to society. But I'm also seriously considering Bruce. It's really hard to decide. I might just do two projects and turn in which ever one comes out better."

Steve and Bucky exchanged amused glances, both proud of their oldest.

"When is this due?" Steve asked, looking at the clock and seeing that it was getting late. And it was also a Friday night.

"Not for two or three weeks but I'm excited about this one. I might go see if Tony is still in the lab."

"Okay Mr. Overachiever, go to bed. You have so much time to work on this, get some rest." Steve told him, patting him on the back.

"Fine." He sighed, putting his stuff back in his backpack and trudging off to his room.

"At least that one seems to be turning out okay." Steve chuckled.

"Yeah, 1 out of 3 ain't bad." Bucky teased, getting up from the table and taking off his blood-stained shirt and jeans.

"What are you doing? Practicing for a career change from super soldier to stripper?" Steve teased him, stealing his beer off the table and finishing it.

"You're funny, no. I'm taking these to the laundry room and taking a shower." He explained, beginning to walk down the hall before backing up and raising his eyebrows. "You could join me."

Steve smiled, tossing the empty beer bottle into the trash can. "I was hoping you'd say that."