Take A Break

Idea by multy_fandom_mess

"Steve?" Bucky spoke softly, waking up in the middle of the night. "You awake?"

He didn't hear a response and figured he must've been asleep but paused; he hadn't heard any snoring from him, either.

He rolled over to face his husband, except he wasn't there. And that side of the bed was still made, telling him he hadn't even come to bed yet.

"What the hell?" He mumbled, rubbing his face as he got out of bed. He followed the light streaming into the hallway to the living room, revealing Steve lying on the couch with his laptop.

He was closely studying the computer screen, writing notes on post-it's and sticking them to the front of the laptop.

"What are you doing?" Bucky asked, squinting his eyes from the light that he wasn't adjusted to quite yet.

"Scanning surveillance footage." He explained without taking his eyes off the screen.

"I see. Why are you doing that in the middle of the night?" He inquired, joining him on the couch and nuzzling himself between Steve and the back of the couch.

"Because this is when I have time. I have training and meetings and PR engagements and helping the younger heroes with their training and subsequent life problems and now I have assignments like this to help local law enforcement find suspects. Oh and our date night is tomorrow so I have to get stuff done beforehand so that there's time." Steve explained, clearly stressed as he continued to carefully scan through the surveillance footage.

"Yeah, date night was actually tonight. I heard you were helping Peter with something though so don't worry about it." He laid a hand on Steve's chest.

"What?" His eyes finally left the screen, looking at Bucky in disbelief. "I missed date night?"

"Mhm, you've got yourself so overworked you're losing track of what day it is. See a problem there?" He laid his head on his shoulder and breathed a contented sigh.

"I'm so sorry, Bucky. I know you love our date nights. I do too, I really do, I just...I'm sorry. How can I make it up to you?" He apologized, truly feeling bad but also completely exhausted.

"Take a break." Bucky whispered, closing the laptop and kissing Steve's cheek. "That's how you can make it up to me. Relax, close your eyes, and take a break. Nothing is more important than you getting rest and taking care of yourself. You're not going to be much help to anyone if you're walking around like a zombie in an exhaustion-fueled delirium."

"But the NYPD needs that surveillance footage to be analyzed by-"

"No." Bucky interrupted his protest. "Deadlines be damned. You're Captain America, they can't penalize you for not solving their cases fast enough. That's not even your job. You want to make it up to me? Take a break."

Steve reluctantly relaxed, laying back and wrapping an arm around Bucky. "I'm sorry."

"I know, it's okay." Bucky assured him, tracing the outline of his face as he laid halfway on him, halfway on the couch. "Get some rest."

Steve took a deep breath and shut his eyes. Within minutes, he was snoring.

Bucky smiled at the sound and closed his eyes, too. "I love you, you overworked idiot."