Burning Up

How many oneshots will I write of Bucky being sick? The world may never know. Also this is really long

Maybe he shouldn't go to the party. Maybe he should just take some medicine and go to bed. Nobody would be upset with him, he may just endure some good-natured teasing for the next few days. It wasn't like Stark didn't host parties monthly; he wouldn't miss the night of a lifetime or anything. But he was fine. He could power through and take care of himself later.

So Bucky got in the shower and turned the water on as hot as it could go. Slowly, he washed himself up before just standing under the steaming water. He had no idea how much time had lapsed until Steve came in.

"Hey, you've been in there awhile. You okay?" Steve asked, not able to see Bucky leaning unsteadily against the shower wall due to the glass door being completely fogged over with steam.

Bucky straightened himself up and cleared his throat. "It takes time to look this good, Steve. It doesn't just happen." He made himself sound as normal and witty as usual, despite his voice feeling weird in his throat as he spoke.

Steve chuckled, accepting the answer and not noticing anything different in his voice. "Fair enough. It's 6:45 though so you may wanna get a move on."

"Yes Captain." Bucky forced himself to reply with the same sarcastic tone he usually would. Steve shook his head with a smile before leaving the bathroom.

Bucky dropped the act and took a shaky breath. His head was throbbing, his throat felt tight, his entire body felt achy and sore, and he was freezing despite the burning water he was standing under. He was fine. Definitely fine.

He turned the water off and gingerly stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around his waist. He went to the sink to brush his teeth and caught a glance of the medicine Bruce had created for him and Steve for illnesses just like this. The unavoidable side effect of it, however, was that it made him drowsy; he couldn't take it if he had any hope of staying awake at the party.

He sighed, promising himself he'd take it later.

At 7:15, Steve walked to their room to see what the hold up was. It had been a half an hour and the party technically started fifteen minutes ago. "Baby, are you ready yet?"

Bucky heard Steve's voice seconds before he came into the room and forced himself off the bed, where he'd had to sit down for a break after getting his shoes from the closet. "Just need to get my shoes on." He mumbled, his head spinning from standing up and then bending down to tie his shoes.

When he stood back up after tying his shoes, Steve looked him over and smiled. He had on blue-gray pants and a matching blazer with a white shirt underneath.

"You look good, sweetheart." Steve assured him as Bucky looked in the mirror. Truthfully, Bucky wasn't checking his outfit or his hair, he was checking to see if he looked as sick as he felt. And, surprisingly, he looked okay. A little paler than usual, but not too bad.

"Right back at ya, handsome. Let's go." Bucky told him with a forced smile before following Steve to the elevator.

At the party, Bucky found his way to the bar and sat on a barstool.

"Barnes! Want some Asgardian liquor?" Thor greeted him excitedly, pulling out a flask from his pocket.

Bucky winced slightly as Thor's excessive volume. "N-no, not tonight."

Thor looked at him confused, his head tilting sideways. "Are you alright?"

Bucky forced himself to sit upright, doing his best to seem normal. "Yeah, yeah, of course. Just not up for drinking tonight."