Metal Arm

Bucky jolted awake with his flesh hand clawing at the part of his shoulder where the metal connected with flesh. He stopped and shuddered, trying not to think about the nightmare that just woke him up.

"Steve?" Bucky spoke softly, not sure if his husband was awake beside him or not. Steve didn't say anything but instead a quiet snore escaped him.

Bucky got out of bed and went into their bathroom, closing the door before turning on the light. He stood in front of the mirror and stared at where the metal started and his flesh ended.

There were still scars there from all the scratching and clawing at that spot he used to do to try and get it off. And there were angry red scratches and blood there now from the repeated actions he was doing in his sleep.

He continued to stare in the mirror, not tending to the blood or scratches, just staring and wishing his life had played out differently. He wasn't sure how long he'd stayed staring, frozen in that spot, but he suddenly heard the door open.

"You okay?" Steve asked before looking in the mirror and seeing the blood dripping down Bucky's shoulder and chest. "What happened? You know how to take your arm off, don't hurt yourself." He spoke rapidly, scared that Bucky was regressing.

"I did it in my sleep." He didn't even register the words that left his mouth, his mind just answered on autopilot.

Steve relaxed a little and grabbed a washcloth, beginning to clean the wounds. When he finished, he cupped Bucky's cheeks in his hands and looked into his eyes. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I-I used to try and get it off when Hydra put it on. And it always ended in punishment but I kept trying. I didn't like it. Then I had a nightmare and I was doing it in my sleep again." He explained quietly as tears found their way down his cheeks.

Steve pulled him into a hug and kissed his temple. "I'm sorry."

"Can we go back to bed?" He asked shakily, sounding much like a scared child during a storm.

"Of course, my love. Let's go." Steve smiled, picking him up and carrying him back to bed. He laid down with Bucky on top of him and began to trace patterns on his back.

"You don't have to love me." Bucky suddenly spoke up, his voice taut. "I can take it, if you come to your senses and want out of this-this relationship." He lied. He definitely couldn't take it if that happened, but he didn't want Steve to feel trapped.

"Hey, none of that. I love you and I am not going anywhere, ever. You hear me?" He spoke firmly, subconsciously tightening his arms around Bucky.

Bucky nodded slightly and let himself continue to be cuddled like a teddy bear. "I'm sorry I'm not the way I used to be. I was better in the thirties."

"You were amazing then and you're amazing now, if not more so. Besides, I'm not the way I used to be in the thirties either. You see a ninety pound asthmatic holding you right now?" He chuckled lightly, making a smile cross Bucky's lips briefly.

"No, you're a little bigger now."

"And you still love me, huh?" He challenged, receiving an affirmative nod. "That's good, because I still love you too. I don't care if one of your arms is metal. Just as long as you're alive and healthy, I'm happy. Because I'm with you..."

"Till the end of the line." Bucky finished.