Puppies

Bucky walked down the road, his hands in his pockets. Steve was in DC for the weekend to attend an opening of an Avengers exhibit at the Smithsonian museum, meaning Bucky was bored.

As he wandered the streets looking for something to fill his time, he saw a tattered box. He carefully looked inside and saw five puppies.

The animals looked up at him and his heart melted. "It's okay, guys. You're all okay, I promise." He smiled as he picked the box up and carried it back home.

—————

"Buck, I'm home!" Steve called out Sunday afternoon when he returned. He set his bags down and went to find his husband.

When he got to the living room, he froze. "Bucky? Where did all these puppies come from?" He asked Bucky, who was sitting on the floor with all five puppies either sleeping or playing on him.

"Aren't they cute? I found them in a box." He smiled proudly, petting two of them who were playing between his legs.

"We-Buck, we can't-what are we going to do with five puppies?" He asked, still in shock as one puppy began to bite at his feet.

"That's Rocky, by the way. He's a little rebellious." Bucky explained as he diverted the dog's chewing to a toy instead of Steve's foot. "This one is Daisy, that's Teddy, that one is Lola, and this little one is Jack." He pointed to each dog, the smile on his face as big as ever.

"Honey, we can't keep five dogs." Steve drew the line, even though he didn't want Bucky's happiness to diminish.

"Why not?" He looked heartbroken. "They kept over 100 in that movie."

"In 101 Dalmatians?" Steve questioned confused.

"Yeah. They started a Dalmatian plantation. We just watched it last night." His voice quivered as the idea of having to give up some of the dogs sunk in.

Steve's heart exploded at the thought of Bucky watching a Disney movie with the puppies. "Sweetheart that's an animated movie, it's not realistic. They're going to grow. The compound is big but our floor isn't huge; we don't have the room here for them to grow. I'm sorry, Buck. We can keep two, maybe three."

"Can't we just have Tony give us more space?" He asked, on the verge of tears. "I can't just pick two or three! That's like telling a parent to keep two or three of their kids and send the rest away!"

Steve shook his head, considering the possible consequences of keeping all five. Their floor of the compound wasn't huge but maybe it could work.

"Okay, okay, we don't have to get rid of any of them." He gave in as Daisy began licking his leg.

"Really?" Bucky asked hopeful, his eyes lighting up.

"Yes really. But if they get too big for our space, we'll have to consider letting someone adopt some, even if it's someone else in the compound." He negotiated, smiling as he watched how happy Bucky became.

"Deal!" He exclaimed, picking up Lola and Jack in each arm. "Did you hear that? Daddy Steve said you guys can stay."

"Did you just call me Daddy Steve?" He laughed as he sat down beside Bucky and began playing with the dogs.

"Well what else would I refer to you as? We are the proud fathers of five babies now." Bucky smiled giddily, still so excited he was able to keep all of the dogs.

Steve shook his head. "Fair enough."