Forgotten

Bucky looked at his watch again and sighed. Where is he? I told him to meet me here at 8. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, looking briefly at the lock screen photo of him and Steve in Disney World, before unlocking the phone and calling Steve.

"Hey Buck." Steve answered the call, the background noise making it slightly difficult for Bucky to hear him.

"Where are you?" He asked, already dreading that he forgot about their plans. Their plans for tonight had been talked about extensively; they were going to have a picnic in the park under the stars and, secretly, Bucky had planned on proposing.

"At the bar with Sam, Thor, Clint, and Tony. Thor brought some of that Asgardian liquor so I can actually get drunk. You should join us!" Steve slurred his words slightly and Bucky felt like he'd been punched in the stomach. Steve forgot.

"No, it's alright. I'll see you later. Love you." Bucky said before hanging up and sighing sadly. He kneeled down and cleaned up everything he had set up; the blanket, food, flowers, candles, and a box with a ring inside.

He tossed it into his backseat and drove home, sulking the whole way. How could Steve forget something they'd talked about so much? This was the date they discussed all month! And he blew it off to go get drunk with friends?

When he got home, he made quick work of putting the things away before going to his and Steve's shared bedroom. He kicked off his dress shoes and began changing out of the suit he'd been wearing to surprise Steve. He left the clothes in a pile on the floor and got in bed in his boxers.

Bucky gave in to the anxiety-driven thoughts in his head as he laid there. Steve didn't forget, he chose something better. He didn't want to go through with the date, it was just an idea we were considering. Or was I the only one considering it? Steve didn't want to do that at all, did he? Of course not. He was just pretending so I would quit bringing it up. So stupid. Why would he want to be with me at all? Surely he would've said no to the proposal anyway. Probably better this way. He'll probably not even come home tonight, probably find someone better and less volatile. Someone with less baggage and trauma. Bucky Barnes is a wreck and nobody, not even Steve, can stand to stick around too long. Steve probably won't come home to me again. He's never coming back to me.

The last thought continued to replay in Bucky's mind as tears came streaming down his face. He felt like his chest was constricting and it was getting hard to breathe. He couldn't move or hear anything above his heart racing. For one of the first times since he'd been dating Steve, he endured an anxiety attack alone and didn't have Steve to comfort him afterwards. Bucky cried himself to sleep after the anxiety attack ran its course.

Steve got home after midnight. He had slowed his drinking after talking to Bucky and was practically sober now since his body processed alcohol fast.

He went to their room and heard Bucky snoring softly. Steve kept the light off so he wouldn't wake him up, but ended up nearly falling over something on the floor. He turned on his phone flashlight and saw the obstacle was a pile of clothes. In fact, it was Bucky's suit and dress shoes. Wait a minute...

Steve glanced at the calendar on his phone and hoped it wasn't true; he missed the date with Bucky. Steve smacked himself in the head. How could he be so stupid to mix up days? He thought today was Friday and the date was tomorrow. Turns out, it was Saturday all day and he missed it. Bucky was probably so disappointed.

He looked at his boyfriend and, by his phone flashlight, could see his eyes were puffy and his cheeks were red with tears still on them. Oh no, Bucky was crying. He probably thought I forgot about him.

Steve couldn't wait until the morning to fix this. He sat on the bed next to Bucky and gently shook him awake. The moment Bucky saw Steve beside him, he lunged into his arms.

"You came back." He choked out, beginning to cry once again.

"What? Of course I came back, sweetheart. I'm so sorry about tonight, I thought it was Friday and the date was tomorrow." Steve assured him, holding him tight in his arms.

"You-you didn't think the date was stupid and chose something better? That-that I would quit bringing it up if you-if you just agreed to it? And-and that I'm-I'm too volatile and you-you can find someone better?" Bucky asked through sobs, breaking Steve's heart as he did.

"Baby, no. No, no, no. I just misread the calendar, none of that. I was looking forward to the date and it was a great idea. You're my best guy, I'm not leaving you." Steve kissed his forehead while mentally hitting himself for causing this.

"I-I thought that you stood me up and-and found someone better and less...me. And-and then my mind wouldn't stop and I had an anxiety attack and you-you weren't here and...Steve, you weren't here and I couldn't turn off my mind." He cried out, fisting the material of Steve's collared shirt.

"I'm sorry, Bucky. I screwed up and I hurt you in the process and that's not okay. Can I make it up to you? We can have that picnic under the stars tomorrow night and then we can do anything you want after. Even that one thing you read about online." Steve promised, smiling in relief when Bucky laughed. One of those beautiful laughs that happen in place of a cry.

"You don't have to do that."

"No, I will. And more." Steve promised, softly pulling Bucky's chin up so he could look at him. "I love you. I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry I screwed up. Tomorrow will be great and I promise I won't misread anymore calendars."

Bucky smiled at him as Steve wiped the tears from his cheeks. "You know why tonight was going to be such a big deal?"

"Why's that?"

"I was going to propose under the stars and there were going to be candles and flowers and it was going to be perfect. But now I see that the only thing that's perfect in our relationship is you. I mean, look at me, I'm a wreck and overreacting and you're still here, making me feel better just like always. So, Steve, this isn't how I planned to ask, but: Will you marry me?"

"Yes, Buck, I would love to marry you." Steve kissed him before pulling away. "Although, I disagree with what you said. I'm not perfect and you're not a wreck. It's the other way around."

"Who are we kidding? We're both wrecks." Bucky laughed, kissing Steve again.

Wow this is trash and I debated posting it or deleting it :/