Zoned In

I almost feel bad about the last part so I wrote something completely angst-free as an apology

Bucky was sitting on the couch on the main floor of the compound. He was deeply enthralled in a book and completely oblivious to his surroundings.

It was for the best that he had found something to occupy himself with, since he had been going stir crazy for the past few days while Steve was on a mission. He had deep-cleaned everything he could find, fixed anything even remotely broken (and broke some additional things in the process), and worked out more times than he could count. He even baked 18 loaves of bread while singing karaoke in the middle of the night. What could he say? He was bored and crazy without Steve.

Now, he had finally found something peaceful and calm to occupy himself with. The others in the compound were amused by his next-level ability to tune everything out to focus on his book.

Sam threw a grape at him and hit him in the face, receiving zero reaction. He didn't even flinch. The others giggled, amused as they began thinking up new ways to mess with Bucky.

Tony used an air horn, and Bucky didn't flinch. Clint jumped on the couch beside him and nothing. Peter played Bohemian Rhapsody and sang along loudly, receiving zero reaction. Natasha even recited dirty Russian jokes to him and got nothing back.

As they stood around trying to find new ways to break Bucky's focus, Steve walked in from his mission. He looked around for Bucky, who typically attacked him in a bear hug when he returned from missions.

"Bucky? Babe, I'm back." He called out to him, confused when he didn't react or seem to hear him at all.

"Don't bother, he's zoned into that book and nothing will break his focus." Sam informed him, throwing another grape at him and watching Bucky not react. "See?"

"That explains why he didn't answer my call." Steve chuckled. "Wanna see me break his focus?"

"Good luck. An air horn didn't even break him." Tony told him, everyone watching as Steve smirked.

"I have a better method than an air horn." He dropped his duffle bag before taking off running towards Bucky. He jumped and tackled him, tipping the couch over backwards in the process.

"What the fuck?" Bucky groaned, looking up at Steve who was laying on top of him now while reaching for the book that was thrown from his hands.

"I'm back!" He shrugged cheerfully, kissing Bucky's cheek and slapping his hand away from the book. "Stop reading and love me."

"But it's a good book!" He whined like a child as Steve restrained his hands so he couldn't grab for the book again.

"I would like to think I'm better than that book." He said before lowering his head to Bucky's ear. "Why don't you take me to our room and I can prove it."

Bucky raised an eyebrow and considered it before nodding. "The book can wait."