We're Okay

"Hey Bucky, you want pizza for dinner?" Steve called from the kitchen where he was rummaging through takeout menus. "Or would you rather get Chinese?"

There was no answer to either question. "Buck?" Still no response. Steve left the kitchen and went into the living room, where he thought Bucky was. When he wasn't there, he checked the bathroom, their bedroom, the office, everywhere, but Bucky and his keys weren't there.

He never said he was going anywhere. I didn't even hear him leave. Steve thought, beginning to panic. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed Bucky, only to hear the phone begin ringing from the other room. "Damnit." He cursed, hanging up and calling Sam.

"Hey Steve." Sam answered his phone.

"Have you seen or heard from Bucky?" He asked anxiously, looking out their apartment window and seeing Bucky's car was gone.

"Not since we all had dinner together last night. Why? What's going on?"

"He left. I didn't hear him, he didn't say anything, he's just gone! I don't know what to do or where he could've gone."

"Okay, Alright, take a breath. I'll go drive around and see if I can find him. You stay home just in case he comes back. He probably just went out to get something real quick." Sam assured him, knowing Steve was freaking out.

"Yeah, yeah alright. Thanks."

For hours, Sam searched while Steve waited and neither saw any trace of Bucky. At 11:30, Steve was pacing the kitchen and on the phone with Sam again. "He hasn't been home yet. I'm scared, Sam. This isn't like him."

"I'll keep looking. We will find him." Sam said as he stopped at a red light, looking around for any sign of his friend.

"Thanks, I-Sam he just walked in. I'll call you later." Steve said, hanging up as Bucky walked back in the door looking like a dog with his tail between his legs. "Thank God you're back. What happened? I was so worried."

Bucky looked at him with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "He should be mad at me. Why isn't he mad at me?"

"Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you?" Steve asked, making Bucky realize he had said that out loud and not just in his head.

"Because...I-....you were...I-.." Bucky stumbled for words as his anxiety skyrocketed and he began to breathe heavily. Steve watched the signs as a panic attack began to rack Bucky's body: his breathing was erratic, he was sweating, shaking, and looked unsteady.

"Hey, you're okay. Breathe, Buck, just breathe." Steve instructed, as Bucky fell to the floor. Steve sat beside him and grabbed his hand, placing it against his own chest and exaggerating his breathing so Bucky could feel it and match it.

After almost ten minutes, the panic attack passed and Bucky was holding back sobs as tears fell down his face.

"Can I hug you?" Steve asked as he watched the tears fall on Bucky's cheeks. The brunet nodded and began to sob into Steve's chest as strong arms were wrapped around him.

"I-I'm sorry.....I didn't..didn't know what to do."

"You're okay, babe. Let it out and we can talk when you're ready. I'm right here with you." Steve assured him, running his fingers through his hair as he waited to Bucky to be ready.

Eventually the sobs turned to sniffles and Bucky spoke softly. "I panicked."

"What happened that made you panic?" Steve asked, brushing the hair out of Bucky's face.

"I fell asleep in the living room and I dreamed that I got turned back into the...Winter Soldier and I watched as I hurt you and couldn't stop myself. I-I panicked when I woke up and I was scared of hurting you so I left. I drove around but then I realized how late it was and how mad you must've been that I just left and...I'm sorry." He explained shakily, keeping his head against Steve's chest.

"I am not mad. I was never mad, I was scared. I'm happy you're home and mostly okay, but please baby, don't leave again. Don't be afraid of hurting me, I'm strong enough to protect myself and you. Please trust me. You're okay, I'm okay, we're both okay. If you're anxious or panicking, please come talk to me. You're my husband, I'm here to help and support you through everything. Please don't duck out again to try and handle it on your own." Steve practically begged, holding Bucky tight.

"I won't, I promise."

"Good. I love you."

"Love you too."

"Wanna go to bed? It's after midnight."

Bucky nodded so Steve got up and carried Bucky to their room, where they cuddled until they fell asleep.