Angry Lecture Mood

Bucky was in that mood. No, not a sexy mood. An angry lecture mood. He did this sometimes, but not too often. Anything that anyone did that was even remotely wrong, annoying, or inconsiderate received an angry lecture.

Steve recognized the signs immediately when he woke up. Bucky wasn't in bed, but rather he was pulling every article of clothing out of their closet. Steve rubbed his eyes and sat up, choosing his words carefully. "Good morning, Buck. How'd you sleep?"

Bucky didn't look at Steve, he simply continued to tear everything out of the closet. "That's such a weird fucking question. Why is that something people ask? We don't ask 'How did you blink?' or 'Hey, how was that breath you just took? Oxygen-filled?' We, as a society, don't need to check on people's normal bodily functions unless there's a significant problem with them. Me? I slept like a goddamn baby, up every hour crying in discomfort."

Steve bit his lip to keep from laughing. Bucky's angry lectures could be amusing, that is, when they weren't aimed at him personally. He knew that, after awhile, the lectures would become much less amusing.

"No, you're right. That is a weird question." He sided with him to avoid unnecessary conflict. "So what're you doing?"

"I'm baking cupcakes. What's it look like, genius? I'm organizing the closet because everything was wrong. Your clothes are mixed up with all of my clothes. Shirts and sweatshirts are all combined. There's-there's shoes missing their pair! I mean, for crying out loud, this isn't how functional people keep their closets. We cannot live like this!"

Steve nodded, getting out of bed. "Right, I agree. Hey, I'm going to meet Fury for breakfast. I'll be back in a little while."

Now, that wasn't exactly true. He just wanted to give Bucky space to get past this mood. He took himself out to breakfast and then went to Target. When he got home, he tested the water to see if Bucky was still in his mood.

He put away the things he bought from Target and didn't see his husband on their floor. "Hey FRIDAY, where's Bucky? What's he doing?" He asked the AI.

"He's on the main floor yelling at Scott for not recycling an empty orange juice carton and reminding him of the importance of recycling." The voice replied, making Steve laugh.

"Poor Scott." He chuckled, grabbing the newspaper, a pen, and his sketchbook before heading to the elevator and going to the roof. There, he set up camp to wait out the mood.

Nearly an hour later, as he was doing a crossword in the paper, he was joined by Sam.

"There you are. What're you doing up here?" Sam asked, sitting down beside him.

"Waiting out my husband's mood. Just better to give him space when he's like this." Steve answered, smiling in pride as he finished the puzzle.

"What the hell's wrong with him? Is this a normal thing? He made Scott cry earlier because he was 'killing the only planet we have.' I think he's tearing Clint apart right now for not putting his dishes in the dishwasher. And Tony is backing him up so Clint doesn't stand a chance." Sam reported, taking the newspaper from Steve to try and find a nonexistent mistake in his puzzle.

Steve laughed and shook his head. "What can I say? It'll pass. He gets like this sometimes when he hasn't been sleeping well or his PTSD has been worse than usual. He can't control what happened to him but he can control things being the way they're supposed to be now so he does this. He's not trying to be mean or aggressive, he's just looking to gain a little sense of control in a world he was forced to do so much wrong in." He explained it the way Bucky's therapist had explained it to them.

"Damn. Well now I feel bad." He admitted, tossing the paper aside without finding a single mistake.

Steve waved him off. "Oh, it's fine. Plus, now you all know how I used to feel getting lectures from him after I would get in fights back in the day."

Sam nodded. "So, we're hiding here until he stops?"

"Not hiding, waiting. It'll pass and he'll be okay."

"So hiding until he stops?" Sam chuckled. "Wanna watch a movie?" He asked, gesturing to his phone.

"Sure. Which one?" He asked, looking at the phone screen as Sam opened the Netflix app.

"You see Forrest Gump yet?" He asked, already pressing play on the movie. "It's great, a classic."

As the pair watched the movie, they were gradually joined by more and more Avengers who were all looking for a place to escape Bucky's lectures.

By the time the movie ended, Tony, Scott, Bruce, Clint, Wanda, Natasha, and Thor were all on the roof with Sam and Steve.

"Where's Bucky?" Steve asked the group, wondering if he was still in his mood.

"Last I checked, he was lecturing Nat for putting her feet on the table." Bruce said, the group turning to Natasha for further explanation.

"Oh, I walked away so I wouldn't be tempted to fight him." She shrugged. "I think he was mumbling about how disrespectful society is now and scrubbing the table."

"I've never once feared him until today." Wanda sighed. "I overwatered a houseplant and you would've thought I ripped it out of the soil and stomped on it."

"Hey, it'll pass. It's just him trying to feel control in a world that's taken it from him too often." Steve explained again so everyone understood. "I'm going to go find him and see if he's any better now."

"Well text us and tell us if it's safe to go back inside. I'm hungry." Clint called after him.

Steve laughed and continued on his way inside, searching for his husband. He found him sitting on the floor in the elevator, pressing random buttons and riding from floor to floor to floor.

"What're you doing, babe?" He asked, sitting beside him.

Bucky sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I don't know. I'm exhausted. I did the thing again. The whole controlling mood thing." He explained softly.

"I noticed, Buck. Everyone noticed." Steve chuckled lightly, taking his metal hand in his own.

"I made Scott cry over recycling." He admitted, biting his lip to keep from laughing at how ridiculous it sounded now.

Steve laughed. "I heard about that. It's okay. He's a big boy, he can take it. Wanna go grab dinner and have a picnic somewhere?"

Bucky nodded, laying his head on Steve's shoulder. "That sounds nice. Can we get Arby's fries and go to that one park we went to last week? With the pond and the bridge?"

Steve smiled, kissing the side of his head. "Sure thing, bubba."