It's Inevitable

This is horrible but I'm posting it anyway (kinda how I feel about this entire book)

Steve knew something was wrong. Ever since they got married, he noticed that Bucky hadn't been acting right. He had been quiet, nervous, and shy, nothing like the Bucky that Steve knew. Steve decided that he was going to draw Bucky out of the shell he'd been hiding in, whatever it took.

Steve got home from his morning run, having ran only half of what he usually did. He went into the bedroom to see if Bucky was still asleep. The bed was empty but the bathroom door was half-shut and the sound of crying could be heard over the shower.

He peeked through the half-open door and saw Bucky in the shower. Through the foggy glass door, he could see the man's body shaking with sobs as he leaned against the shower wall and weakly punched it over and over again with his flesh hand.

"Buck?" Steve called gently, opening the door all the way.

Bucky immediately straightened up and grabbed the soap, hoping Steve didn't see any of that as he began to clean himself. "You're back early." He spoke after clearing his throat.

Steve was shocked at how quick he just stopped being emotional and went back to normal. "Yeah, I only ran 8 miles today."

"Oh. I'm almost done, I can make breakfast soon."

"Or I could join you in there." Steve suggested, hoping that the intimacy would get Bucky to open up, or at least cheer him up. They hadn't been intimate since their wedding night, which was three weeks ago. And since that day, things hadn't been right with Bucky.

Bucky exhaled shakily as he stood under the hot water. He was silent for a moment before nodding.

"Hey, you can say 'no.' You're allowed to not want to do anything, you know? I don't own you." Steve spoke gently, watching his husband shakily turn the water off and step out of the shower.

Bucky wrapped a towel around his waist and looked at the floor. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have anything to be sorry for." Steve said, placing his hand against Bucky's cheek. He could feel tears begin to fall from his eyes and carefully pulled his face upwards so they could look at each other. "Honey, you've got to tell me what's going on. I saw you crying when I came home and you haven't been okay since the wedding. Please just let me in. I'm your husband, I'm here to help you and love you through anything and everything."

Bucky breathed unevenly as he held back sobs. "This isn't going to work out."

"What isn't going to work out?"

"Us. Marriage."

"Why wouldn't it work out?"

Bucky hesitated before speaking as he started sobbing. "Because I'm not good enough and it's...its only a matter of time before you see it too. It's-my life is going too well and I know it won't last because it never does. And every time I feel happy...I remind myself why I shouldn't because I don't deserve it. You're too good for me....once you see that, you'll leave me and it's inevitable."

"No-"

"Yes."

"No, that's never going to happen. You are enough. You're more than enough actually, you're everything I need. You complete me and you make my life better in every single way."

"You don't mean that." He choked out a sob as he tried to control his breath.

"I mean every word of it and I'll spend the rest of my life proving it to you. I love you very much and I'm not going anywhere. The only thing that's inevitable in our marriage is that it's going to last forever." Steve assured him, brushing the wet hair out of his face and kissing his forehead.

Bucky nodded slightly and met Steve's eyes. "I love you."

Steve gave him a smile and wrapped his arms around him. "I love you too."