Home

Inspired by the song Home by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

Steve and Bucky were in the kitchen together making dinner. Well Bucky was making dinner, Steve was sitting at the table looking at real estate on his laptop.

The couple had been contemplating moving away from Brooklyn but weren't sure where else to go.

"What if we move to Louisiana near-"

"If the next word out of your mouth is 'Sam,' stop talking. No way." Bucky cut him off as he tossed a dirty dish into the sink.

"Okay, okay." Steve laughed. "What about Boston?" He suggested, typing the city into the Zillow search box and scrolling through homes for sale.

"Maybe. It's relatively close to where we already live though. Why not Arizona or Montana? Go big or go home, right?" He teased as he pulled a pan of chicken out of the oven.

"Well I'd like to find a home, Bucky." He sighed, giving up for the time being and closing the computer.

Bucky brought over a tray of chicken and waffles and sat across from him. "Relax, we'll find a place to move. Besides, home isn't a place."

Steve looked at him confused as they both began putting food on their plates. "What is it then?" He challenged playfully.

"It's wherever I'm with you, darling." He winked, taking a bite of a waffle.

Steve smiled at him and shook his head. "Cute. That was cute." He sighed contentedly as he began eating. "It might be weird not living in Brooklyn anymore."

"We've had some good times here." Bucky agreed, smiling to think of their memories in Brooklyn.

As they ate, they were reminiscing silently. After he finished eating, Steve chuckled softly. "You remember that time you fell off the third floor balcony of the apartment building I used to live in?"

"Yeah, you came jumping down after me and landed in a pile of trash." Bucky chuckled at the memory.

"You nearly broke your face on that fall. You were bleeding all over and I had to borrow Mr. Davis's car to drive you to the hospital."

"Borrow? Steven, don't pretend like you didn't steal that man's car." Bucky laughed, taking their plates to the sink.

"It was a matter of life or death, he understood after he stopped yelling." He defended as he joined Bucky at the sink and took over with the dishes. "There's something I never told you about that day."

"What?" Bucky asked, surprised that there was anything that he didn't know about Steve after all these years.

"Well while you were laying in the backseat, covered in blood and smoking a cigarette you were convinced was your last, I was driving recklessly, as usual, and kept checking on you in the rear view mirror. And I remember realizing, for the first time, that I had fallen deeply in love with you." He admitted, loading everything in the dishwasher.

Bucky smiled at him. "That's when you knew? When I was dying in the backseat of a stolen car?"

Steve shrugged. "That's when I knew."

He pulled Steve in for a kiss and held him tight in his arms after. "I love you."

"I love you."

"Wanna know when I knew?" He asked, beginning to sway them back and forth.

"When?"

"The time I watched you try to fight a man while you were having an asthma attack after I had just pulled you away from a different fight. Remember that? He had groped a woman and you saw from the bench I was forcing you to rest on. I turned my back for one second and you were charging at this man, demanding he apologize for making her uncomfortable." He smiled fondly at the memory, even though he hadn't been smiling at the time.

"That's when you knew you loved me? You lectured me for two hours after that." He asked incredulously, still remembering how Bucky had ratted him out to his ma afterwards and he'd gotten another long lecture.

"That's when I knew. I remember the moment I turned back around and saw you trying to fight this man while gasping for air. I thought, What the hell is he doing? Why is he like this? God, I love him. And then I pulled you away from the guy, receiving a black eye in the process."

Steve smiled, letting Bucky dance them around the kitchen. "We both had black eyes after that. My ma called us the Bruise Brothers."

Bucky chuckled at the memory, remembering that Sarah found humor in the situation the day after it happened. They were quiet and content for a few moments before Bucky paused dancing and looked at Steve.

"Anywhere you want to go, let's go. It doesn't matter to me where we live because as long as I'm with you, I'm home."