Distance

I contemplated deleting this because I just don't like it much but I've also read it a thousand times while writing and editing it and you guys never read it so maybe you'll like it more than I do

The distance was killing him. They were in the same home, the same floor, the same bed, yet they seemed miles apart. Steve had been taking on more and more responsibilities as an Avenger lately and being busy nearly constantly.

Bucky understood he was busy and had things to do, but it was causing a distance between them. Steve never had time or energy left to even cuddle or do anything with Bucky.

That evening, Steve had gotten home from doing whatever Captain America had promised to do and Bucky was ecstatic to see him. In fact, he hadn't even seen him in the past two days since Steve was gone when he woke up and came home after he was asleep.

"You're back!" He greeted him happily, abandoning the food he had been cooking for dinner and going to hug him.

Steve pulled away from the hug quickly as he went to walk away. "Hey Buck. I'm going to go to bed, I'm wiped. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You just got home, it's 7:30. You're not going to eat dinner or-or spend time with me?" Bucky asked softly, not wanting to sound selfish but also just missing his husband.

"I'm too tired, I've been up since 4:30." He replied as he continued walking to their bedroom.

And so, once again, Bucky found himself eating dinner alone. He cleaned up the kitchen and sat on the couch, tears spilling from his eyes. He didn't want to be selfish or discourage Steve from doing things, but he was feeling so isolated and alone lately.

But maybe tomorrow would be better, he thought to himself. It would be their anniversary, after all. Maybe Steve was planning something or at the very least, maybe tomorrow would be like it used to be. Maybe he would wake up to Steve smiling beside him and kiss him good morning. Maybe they would talk and laugh and eliminate the strain that had been in their relationship lately.

Yeah, Steve would definitely take tomorrow off, or at least minimize his obligations for the day. Bucky was sure of it and went to bed with high hopes for the next day.

In the morning Bucky woke up and turned to face Steve, fully expecting to see his smiling husband waiting to give him a kiss, tell him happy anniversary and remind him how much he loved him. He was faced with empty bedsheets instead.

His heart dropped and he felt like crying. He sat up and saw a note on his bedside table.

Bucky,
I'm holding a few meetings and training sessions today at Shield. I also have plans to meet with Natasha and Clint for dinner. I'll see you later tonight.
- Steve

He angrily ripped the note and threw it to the ground before letting out a guttural, frustrated scream. How could he? On their anniversary? Did he forget? He wouldn't forget, would he? Even if he remembered, making plans didn't make his case any better.

That day, Bucky spent hours on the couch watching their wedding video on repeat, crying every time he listened to Steve's vows. Bullshit. You're breaking your vows, Steve. 'Our relationship is number one in your life?' Bullshit. Why aren't you here on our anniversary then? Why don't you make time for me then? Why haven't I seen you for more than fifteen minutes in the past few weeks?

Hours later, as Bucky was still on the couch with the wedding video on, Steve walked in.

"Hey babe." He called, being met with a hard glare from his husband. "What? What's that look for?"

So he did forget. Bucky was beyond words. A dangerous combination of hurt, disappoint, and anger filled him. He shook his head before getting up and walking away.

"Buck, what gives? Why are you mad?" Steve followed him to their room.

Bucky ignored him once again as he couldn't string words together in a way that wasn't yelling. And he didn't want to yell on their anniversary. He instead laid down in bed and put the covers over his head, hiding away.

"Oh, real mature, Bucky. Use your words. What's wrong?" Steve pried, sitting on the edge of the bed. He didn't receive a response and grew annoyed. "Come on, I'm too tired to deal with you acting like a child. Stop being ridiculous, act like the adult you are so we can fix the problem."

That was the tipping point. Bucky threw the covers off and sat up. "No. I don't know if we can fix our marriage or if we should divorce so why don't you just get out?! Go!" He yelled as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"Divorce? What's wrong with our marriage?" Steve asked, a look of genuine confusion on his face. "Bucky...how could you say something like that?"

"Don't make me the bad guy here, Steve. Don't." He sniffled angrily. "You're never here! You never have time or energy for me so what's the point of being married? We're just existing like roommates at this point. I see you once every few days when our paths cross. You're Captain America, you're an Avenger, you're a friend to all, you're a busy guy. I understand all of that and I knew it all before we got married. But you've been completely ignoring me and blowing me off for weeks now and it hurts. And to top it all off, you didn't even remember our anniversary today!"

Steve was taken back by the yelling from Bucky. "I-I'm sorry."

"Yeah well sorry doesn't fix things right now. Just go." He said sadly, laying back down and pulling the blankets over his head so he could cry in peace.

—————

Bucky woke up with his eyes still puffy from crying. He sniffled and sat up, rubbing his eyes as he replayed the previous night's argument.

He went to stand up from the bed and tripped over something on the floor.

"Oww." Steve groaned from the floor, receiving a confused look from Bucky.

"What are you doing on the floor?" He asked as Steve sat up groggily.

"I couldn't leave you again last night, not when you were upset. I'm sorry for being so distant and not making time for you lately. I'm going to start delegating my responsibilities so that I have more time for us. I don't want to divorce or-or take a break. I love you and I'm sorry for doing a shitty job of showing it lately. You're my best guy and I'm going to do a better job treating you accordingly."

Bucky looked at him silently for a few moments before smiling slightly. "You slept on the floor all night like a dog?"

"Yeah." He admitted sheepishly.

Bucky forced the smile off his face. "I appreciate the gesture but that's not going to fix everything. I-I want us to go to couples counseling. I don't want our marriage to fail or-or be tense and we both need to put the work in to keep it, well, good."

Steve nodded, placing his hand on Bucky's. "Okay, I think that's a good idea. I love you."

"I love you too."