Concussion

"Steve." Bucky spoke softly, nudging him with his foot as they laid on opposite ends of the couch. "Hey, why don't you go to bed? You're falling asleep."

"But it's only 8:30." He mumbled, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to stay awake.

"Babe, you've been so busy lately training with Peter and helping Sam out at the V.A. and everything. Just go get some rest, okay? I'll be in after I finish this episode." He gestured to the tv that was playing an episode of Modern Family.

Steve sighed, nodding in reluctant compliance. "Okay. Goodnight, love you."

"Love you too, sweetheart." He said as Steve got up and stumbled out of the room, groggy and off balance as he tried to stay awake long enough to get to their room. Not even a minute later, Bucky heard a loud noise.

He raced off the couch to find out what happened, calling out for Steve as he did. "Steve? What was that? Steve!"

He found Steve barely conscious on the floor in the bathroom, bleeding profusely from his head. "Bucky." Steve let out in a pained groan, confused about what had just happened.

"Stay still, don't move. It's okay. What happened?" He went into protective nurse mode, just like he used to do in the thirties.

"Going to bed but I...I'm on the floor?" He mumbled barely coherent.

"You might've fallen and hit your head on the counter? Does that sound right?" He asked, noticing the blood on the edge of the vanity.

"Mhmm." He affirmed, squinting his eyes as Bucky held a towel to his wounded head.

"Okay, I'm going to help you sit up and lean against the wall, alright?" He spoke before gently pulling him up and propping him against the wall.

Upon being upright, Steve became nauseous and Bucky saw it on his face. He quickly put the trash can in front of him just in time for him to vomit.

As Steve continued to be sick, Bucky grabbed a cool washcloth and held it to the back of his neck. "Okay, hey, I think you have a serious concussion. I'm going to ask you some questions and you tell me yes or no. Can you do that?"

Steve nodded once, immediately stopping as the movement hurt.

"Does your head hurt?"

"Yes."

"Are you drowsy? Feel like falling asleep?" He asked, placing a hand on each of Steve's shoulders to stabilize him and readying himself to support his head if he fell unconscious.

Steve spoke softer this time, fighting to stay awake. "I'm really tired."

"Does the light hurt?"

"What? What are we doing right now? Why am I on the floor?" He asked, suddenly more confused than tired.

"You don't remember?" Bucky asked worriedly since he knew what was happening just a minute ago.

"No. Wait, did I fall?"

"You did. Do the lights hurt your head right now?"

"Yeah, they're too bright."

"How's your vision? Blurry? Seeing double?" He questioned, his concern growing with every answer Steve provided.

"Both."

"Dizzy?"

"Very." He confirmed, the entire room feeling like it was spinning.

Bucky sighed softly. "You've definitely got a nasty concussion, pal. I'm going to take you to the MedBay, but you've gotta stay awake while we're going there. Deal?"