Chapter 59: Shortlist

Adult Geng Chen dragons are huge, but their young are small and require a longer developmental period to grow. They are one of the few dragons that require kin to hatch. If a Geng Chen dragon used their original form to raise a child, not only the dragon eggs, but even dragon cubs that have already broken their shells would be hard to find. Moreover, the dragon cubs are protected by the eggshell before they break out but after it is broken, they lose the protection of it. Compared to the powerful adult dragons, the young Geng Chen dragon cubs are vulnerable to injury.

Because of their large size and weight exceeding those of other races, if they press on their dragon cub, the whole family will regret the situation. If they don't sleep at night (Geng Chens aren't cetacean dragons) and have long periods of poor sleep, they could suffer clinical depression while raising their cub.

During his time recuperating in the centre, He Xing had taken the cubs into the sky in his normal dragon form. Both Gian and Lu Yuan remember it well, but the difference in size between the miniature and normal versions was so great that neither of the two cubs associated "brother" and "uncle" with each other.

He Xing felt it was particularly difficult to say the next words.

"Actually, Uncle was injured a bit before and sometimes I can't control my human and dragon form, so... the little dragon you see is actually me."

Lu Yuan was shocked.

"Then Uncle, you lied to us and said that it was another dragon cub."

The little black and white fatty had completely forgotten that the dean was also an "accomplice".

As thick-skinned as He Xing was, he was speechless at the little dragon cub's question.

"That... Adult dragons, they all love keeping face."

Lu Yuan shook his head mournfully.

"Uncle, I'm so disappointed in you. I need to calm down."

The little spotted dragon covered his chest with both hands, turned his head away and very sadly ran out.

Gian chased after him.

"Lu Yuan, don't make excuses to not read!"

Yan Tan and Xing Fei, "..."

The two little dragon cubs sighed in sync, completely giving up on the idea of tutoring Lu Yuan.

Rhein was a little disappointed.

"So does that mean there isn't another small dragon cub?"

The disappointment on Rhein's face was so obvious that He Xing couldn't ignore it, even with his thick skin.

Little Rhein thought for a while and earnestly said, "The books teach us to be honest as dragon cubs, so Uncle also isn't allowed to lie."

He Xing coughed lightly.

"Okay, Uncle is wrong."

Shen Mian came over.

"Dean and Uncle both know that, so we will pay attention to it in the future."

Rhein pulled at his clothes and after a while, looked expectant.

"So... Uncle, how small are you when you become small? Is it really even smaller than me?"

Shen Mian lifted his leg and lightly kicked He Xing.

"Change into one."

He Xing, "..."

If you aren't reading this on shallotnoodle.wordpress.com, you have three days.

He Xing said in a faint voice, "I rushed back all night just to see you guys. I didn't even waste time to rest...and you treat me like this. Why did I come back? I'd rather stay out there."