Chapter 95: Adoption

No matter how hard he struggled, he always wrote in the copybook.

The little fatty's calligraphy class was arranged to be in the afternoon. After Shen Mian's human elective class, when all the other little dragon cubs were dismissed, Lu Yuan sluggishly opened the copybook.

Lu Yuan's handwriting wasn't well-disciplined and many of his characters were traced outside the borders, so it was no wonder that Shen Mian forced him to practise writing.

Gian dragged his little stool next to Lu Yuan and laid on the table, watching him.

Lu Yuan, "..."
I'm writing, I'm writing, stop watching.

Shen Mian had finished the course but the live broadcast was still ongoing. After all the little dragon cubs had left, the viewers of the live broadcast found the little black and white fatty puffing while taking out his notebook and writing.

The whole live room was filled with question marks of astonishment.

[That fluffy cub: My Lord, what did I see? Our Lu Yuan is actually writing??]

[Seventh Legion Super God: Lu Yuan is writing!]

[Death Rays: Has our Lu Yuan been replaced?]

Lu Yuan wrote two lines and looked at Gian frequently. He was more afraid of this little supervisor than the dean.

Gian whispered, "It was expensive. A set costs 50 star coins."

Lu Yuan had no choice but to bury his head and continue writing.

Shen Mian took a glance. Finding that Gian was there, there was no need for him to keep an eye on things all the time. He was about to turn off the live broadcast when He Xing suddenly led a middle-aged dragon in human form in.

Shen Mian took off his holographic glasses and instructed the two little dragon cubs to return to their dormitory before walking over.

As soon as the middle-aged dragon saw him, he politely extended his hands. "Good afternoon Dean Shen. I am John, a member of the West Neighborhood Village Council."

Shen Mian shook his hand gently. "Hello. Please come with me to the office to chat for a while."

John explained, "No no, let's just chat right here, it's not a troubling matter either, it's just pretty important and there's limited time, so a few of us council members will just go door to door to let you know. I have to go to the next residential area later, so I'm going to be busy all day."

Shen Mian nodded.

John said, "It's like this, the social welfare discussed at a conference a few months back has officially begun to spread between the people. We're going to have to upgrade all of our health insurance now and the health insurance website is now open early to re-enter information. It has only opened for a week as of yesterday, so if you miss it you'll have to wait until next year."

John took out his quantum computer and logged onto the village council's website. "The specific steps are on the official website, in fact, our system was launched yesterday, but not many citizens have entered their information, so we are informing them from door to door. The company's main business is to provide a wide range of services and products to the public. Especially since you have two cubs, although their custody is in your hands, their account is under the centre's. This is the time to change the form in advance or you'll have to wait until next year."

There are several types of health insurance in the Dragon Empire and the dragon pups will have two kinds of health insurance: one for family health care and the one that has been upgraded across the board this time.

Both Gian and Xing Fei had medical insurance, but the account of the two cubs belonged to the centre and the original centre couldn't afford to buy medical insurance for a few years, so the insurance the two cubs used was the medical insurance given by the empire to poor children. Compared to purchased health insurance, there was one less yearly medical examination.

The original medical insurance wouldn't end until mid-October this year, and by that time, it was almost time for Shen Mian to figure out how to tell the little dragon cubs about his relationship with He Xing.

If both Xing Fei and Gian agreed, the accounts of the two cubs could be transferred under their own accounts. After all, the two cubs were underage young dragons and couldn't have separate accounts. They must be linked to the accounts of other adult dragons in order to be eligible for family health insurance.

John said he was still in a hurry to inform other dragons, so he nodded to Shen Mian. "Then I'll go to the residential area first. Dean, you should quickly enter the information. I wish you the best for your childcare centre."

Shen Mian and He Xing sent him out and Shen Mian was distracted on the way back.

In the Dragon Empire, adopting a dragon cub was not an easy task. Shen Mian, as the head of the childcare centre, had the custody of Gian and Xing Fei, which was a definite plus and the likelihood of adoption would be high.

But on the other hand, Shen Mian was a human, one who had settled in the Dragon Empire for less than a year, which was definitely a minus, but how many points would be deducted was unknown.

Not to mention humans from another civilization, even dragons who migrated from different planets had a hard time going through the adoption process in the first few years because of instability.

No matter how much dragons liked humans, the relatively more vulnerable humans were not the ones to adopt large dragon cubs, especially the more dangerous ones like the gem dragons.

He Xing could probably guess what Shen Mian was thinking and did not disturb him, but quietly accompanied him upstairs.

Actually, a certificate of marriage could solve the problem of the dragon cub's household registration problem, but to solve the problem of the little dragon cubs, he had to bind Shen Mian... He Xing felt uncomfortable thinking about it.
That was something he couldn't do.

Shen Mian suddenly asked, "I'm going to apply for adoption directly now, what are the chances of passing?"

He Xing, "...Not low, probably about 60 to 70%? You're in a special situation, and there's bound to be a meeting there to discuss it. There's definitely not going to be enough time."
In terms of reason, the council members definitely would want to agree, but legally, the regulations do not allow it. How to find the right approach among them was probably enough for the council members to hold several meetings.

Shen Mian, "..."
Dean Shen looked He Xing up and down for a moment and stretched out his hand to compare He Xing's height. The meaning in his eyes was obvious: I've raised a dragon as big as you.

He Xing was a little taller than him and his fierceness couldn't be hidden under his shirt and trousers.

He Xing, "..."
Yeah, and you've fallen in love with such a big dragon.

"What's the best way to increase the success rate of adoption and decrease the time it takes for the department to consider it?"
Shen Mian hadn't turned off the live broadcast yet and had to go to the classroom to get his quantum computer. He asked Gian and Lu Yuan to meet at the dormitory before he left and he went straight in through the back door of the classroom while talking to He Xing.

He Xing, "There is only one stable method."

Shen Mian didn't think there really was a way. The door had just opened a gap, so he looked back at He Xing.

He Xing hesitated for a few seconds, but still said, "We get married."
Actually, making the relationship public was fine and having a stable romantic partner also helped with adoption, but it's not legal without going through the formalities and it was just a plus worth considering in the committee's mind.

Shen Mian thoughtfully turned his head and suddenly met the shocked eyes of the little dragon cub, Gian.

Lu Yuan bit one claw in his mouth. He looked shocked, but his shock was different from Gian's. He didn't expect the Dean and Uncle He to have progressed to this point.

Dean Shen, "???"

Gian, "!!!"