Chapter 31: Opportunities Unleashed

Jayden's POV

I woke up on yet another day without her. Fridays were always my favourite but this Friday and the previous one were hell for me. This particular Friday marked eight days without Kyra.

As I showered, I remembered our last moments together. I remembered telling her I'd be able to live without her for an entire lifetime. That was one of the biggest lies I had ever told.

I missed her and it was driving me insane. I wondered what she was going through. I wondered if she was eating any food and if she had someone to take care of her.

I had to find her. The previous day I had visited the detective in charge and there wasn't really any helpful information. Trevor really covered his tracks pretty well.

One thing was for sure. He was going to suffer for all the pain he put us all through. He was going to pay for touching Kyra, my wife.

Monica was finally up and fit to talk. She first had to go through guidance and counselling sessions and a lot of stuff for her mental and physical health. According to Nick, she was really strong and pulling it off the Monica style.

I had plans to visit her that morning. I had to hear everything that happened. Despite that, she was my friend. I had to be there for her.

I dressed up and grabbed my cellphone. I had a new one. The last thing I needed was pressure from the media and a score of strangers. I didn't want anyone's sympathy. It just made me weaker.

I looked at my reflection in the full body length mirror. I wasn't myself anymore. I had shaded off some weight. I looked pale.

My interiors were worse. I was stressed out and I had all my feelings troubling me. Everything happened with no warning. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it out alive. Everything hurt. I seriously needed a doctor.

The door was opened after a brief soft knock. Kylie walked in wearing a casual outfit. She had been very supportive throughout the process. She understood me in ways I appreciated.

She approached me and hugged me then she pecked my lips. It wasn't the same anymore. She wasn't the one completely dominating my mind. Another woman was on my mind.

"Jay, you're not doing well. You look really sick and stressed out," Kylie commented, snaking her hands around my neck.

"This has been a really emotional week for me. I've never been through anything like this before. I feel like it's my fault she's not here with us today," I confided in Kylie. She looked understanding and she was listening attentively.

"We'll find her. Yes, she cries over every silly thing but she's been through a lot of tough things and she has overcome them. She's a strong woman. She'll make it out alive, trust me," she assured me. I wondered if she was being genuinely nice or if she was just putting up an act.

"Thanks for your support, Kylie."

"She's nice. I'm just worried about you. You haven't been the same over the past week."

"I'm sorry. Kyra is the only person I have on my mind right now. I can't focus on anything else until I find her and she's safe and healthy. You get what I'm saying right?" I told her, cupping her cheeks with my warm hands.

Kylie nodded, looking into my eyes. She had tears in her eyes.

"Do you want a break from our relationship?" she asked me, forcing a smile.

"I love you, Kylie, but the situation is not in our favour right now. I don't want to hurt you in the process. I just need a little bit of time to work on myself and finding Kyra. I have to make things right. I can't bring you down with me."