Chapter 84: Truths Revealed

Kyra's POV

Being away from home for a couple of days was something I knew would come up at some point for someone who had a leadership role at a company like ours. I had tried to avoid it and let someone fill in for me in the past three weeks so that I'd be able to stay close to Jayden in case of an emergency, but this time around, I had no way out.

I was in the countryside of New Jersey, roughly three hours away from home. A team of company representatives and I were running a charity programme where we were making donations to the health sector, providing essential services for free, giving out groceries and serving food for free.

It was a two day programme and we had managed to make it for the first day without any serious problems. I took part in all the activities and monitored if everything was going according to plan as well. It was a good exposure and an opportunity to get to know and understand the lives of other people and note ways in which we could help improve certain areas that needed attention.

For the night, we were staying at different locations due to limited space. I was with Valencia at a small but decent cottage that had the basic facilities we needed to manage for the night. I knew this wasn't the safest and most comfortable place I could be at the moment, but I had to manage.

The weather had taken an unexpected turn towards sunset, but luckily, we were done with all the activities for the day. It had been mostly sunny and cool during the day, but since around five in the evening, the weather had started getting violent and unfavorable with every passing second.

The wind howled aggressively, making the leaves of the various trees surrounding our small cottage rustle creepily. It had also started showering lightly and to make matters worse, it was misty and very dark outside and some light bulbs in our cottage weren't even working.

The harsh weather was my last concern at the moment. The horribly poor network was driving insane. There was no sign at all of a signal on my cellphone and I hadn't heard from home for about four hours.

I knew that Jayden would be safe since Julius was with him plus there was enough security at the hospital, but I still felt nervous and agitated. I was used to being there close to him and responding to any sort of an alarm regarding either his health or security.

It was barely past seven in the evening. We had to go through the night first then a couple of hours of the next day until we could head back to New York. To me that seemed like an entire century. Something told me that I had to be home, not here in this weird feeling place.

I had this weird feeling of uneasiness in my chest for days. I had no idea what it was or the sort of nature it would be in, but I knew that something big was coming my way. Nothing really had happened yet and the past days had been a little too quiet compared to the other days following Jayden's accident.

I had three bodyguards with me for security in the meantime on top of the security guards of the area where we were living. I was expecting more bodyguards who were supposed to have arrived half an hour ago, but there hadn't been any sign of them. Maybe they had been delayed by the bad weather. I couldn't tell because there was no means of communication.

As for the ones I had, I couldn't see them from where I was inside anymore due to the mist, but I trusted their ability to protect me. Even if something happened and they couldn't protect me, I wouldn't be completely clueless of what to do. The last thing I needed right now was fear and panicking.

There weren't supposed to be any threats around this area, but anything was possible. I had to be alert. The latest updates I had on the case assured me that all of the people working for Kevin and Trevor but one had been captured and were in police custody.