Chapter 44: Too Late?

Jayden's POV

The things Kyra did to me were way out of this world. I wondered if she knew she had such an effect on me. I didn't have to touch her to get turned on. Just her words pushed me over the edge.

I looked at her thin, puckered lips. They were inviting and from experience, they were delicious. They were my favourite pair of lips in this entire world.

I sat on the bed and held her warm hand. I looked into her eyes and I saw a lot I couldn't make out. They weren't the same as they usually were.

She looked as if she wanted to say something, as if something was on her mind.

"What's on your mind? Let's talk about it first," I offered, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm not sure you'd still wanna continue doing this with me after I tell you what's on my mind," she said, cupping my left cheek with her free hand.

What else would make me want to stop my relationship with her? It had to be one thing. One thing I dreaded and I knew would break me.

"Another man?" I asked, my heart's tempo suddenly changing to an irregularity that induced pain.

I swallowed hard. No. It couldn't be. What other man? She promised. She remained silent when she saw my facial expression. I wasn't liking where this was going.

"Is it another man, Kyra? Are you seeing someone?" I asked, gently tightening my grip on her hand.

I never wanted to hurt her and I had made myself that promise. Even in anger, I'd never hurt her in any way.

"I'm not seeing anyone, Jay. It's just that I'm kind of confused. A lot's been on my mind lately regarding our marriage and myself," she said, her eyes falling to our hands.

"What's confusing you? Who is he?" I asked her, trying my best to keep my voice calm.

"You first have to promise that whatever we talk about in here stays in here and we won't bring it up again. I'm just sharing my feelings with you because I trust you. I just need your advice."

"I promise."

"Okay. It's about Nick," she said softly, now holding both of my hands.

Nick. Nicholas Calleiro. The man who was always in the picture.

"Okay. What about Nick?"

"He's nice to me, Jay. He's really sweet and he's always there for me in every situation. I like his personality. He makes me happy without even trying and his presence makes my heart feel warm," she confided in me.

"Has he ever said anything to you?"

"Directly, no. He's always joking around, but sometimes it sounds real. I feel like he stays away because I'm your wife."

"How do you feel about the entire situation?"

"I need your permission to try a relationship with Nick."

"No."

"At least hear me out first, Jayden."

"You promised to be mine and mine alone. Where's all this coming from, Kyra?"

"I know I promised, but you're not mine alone, Jayden. I have to share you with the woman you love. I'm the other woman who you'll forget as soon as this marriage ends. Isn't it a bit unfair on my side that I give myself to you completely, but you can't do the same?"

"I asked you for time, Kyra. We already talked about this."

"Yes, but I have a life after marriage, Jay. I don't want to stay single for life. I want to start the relationship now for the future."