Chapter 12: The One Who Cares

Kyra's POV

My head throbbed painfully. It was as if someone had stabbed a sharp knife into my skull. I threw my head back onto the pillows helplessly.

I hoped the pain would subside soon as I closed my eyes shut with tears involuntarily spilling out. To hell with these migraines.

My migraines had the power to bring me down and imprison me. They made me weak and lose my mind. They were very powerful and that too occasional.

It had been almost three months since my last devastating migraine. That one had left me vomiting and I became totally paralysed and my vision was blurry. During those tough times I had no one to take care of me. I had myself and my bedroom.

I tried to think of what could have triggered the migraine but realised it only intensified the pain so I stopped thinking about it.

The pain had persisted for the whole night and I couldn't even call either Regina or Martha. My legs felt like jelly and I felt nauseous. My head was spinning and everything began to appear in circles.

The pain was way too much for me to handle. I needed help urgently or this could possibly be the final song,an unrhythmic song that distorted the melody I wanted in my life.

I remembered that I had my pills. Of course medication was the answer. I had been way too lazy to reach for the bottle of pills on the bedside stool the whole night foolishly believing the odds would favour me and the pain would subside naturally.

There was a point in my life when antidepressants became a part of me. I couldn't live without them. My entire life depended on them and I'd suffer the pain alone without telling anyone. Who cared anyway?

In as much as they helped me soothe my nerves,they had strong side effects on me. They introduced the much bigger demon I was fighting now, migraines.

As a child I suffered from migraines here and there but after I started taking antidepressants, they became stronger and more difficult to control.

I had learnt to channel my intake of the pills and after a long struggle, I was finally at the point where I could survive without them for at least two weeks but I still carried them with me in case of emergency.

I had begun taking new medication. The doctor I had consulted had prescribed ibuprofen and triptans. They really helped me and they had close to zero side effects on me.

I weakly lifted my hand and reached for the bottle on the bedside stool. I struggled to reach it, moaning softly in pain as moving made the pain intensify.

All my efforts proved to have been to waste as the bottle toppled and fell down and I heard all the contents of the bottle spill onto the floor. It must have been open or not closed properly.

I had three of these bottles on the bedside stool. One with ibuprofen, another with triptans and the other with SSRIs. I made sure to sleep with my bottles close to me every night for emergency and this was the point of emergency.

Stuck against the odds, all my bottles fell on the floor and I heard the remaining two roll to the opposite side of the room. What game was destiny playing with me?Was my life a joke?

The pain further intensified and I could sense the end. I needed a savior. I made a silent prayer for one. Anyone. As if on cue, my phone vibrated under my pillow. Thank you Lord!

As this was my only hope, I put in all my effort and reached for my phone. I struggled to look at the blinding screen. All the figures were hazy but I managed to answer the call.