Chapter 79: Broken And Empty

Kyra's POV

I woke up with an excruciatingly painful migraine, throbbing around my red and puffy eyes that stung like never before. Even stretching myself was painful and it strained my sore muscles as I tried to sit up.

I knew where I was perfectly well and what I was doing there. How could I forget when it had given me a massive heartbreak and even followed me in my dreams to creep me out and haunt me?

I was disturbingly shaken, agonised and scared of what the future held for me. Was my fate that bad that I had to be my husband's widow before we had even been in marriage for a year and before producing our offspring?

At least when I woke up, Mom was by my side, holding my hand with tears in her eyes. She was supporting me, giving me all her love and attention. She helped me sit up and stretch my sore muscles a bit. She was the most supportive person at this moment.

There was a nurse in there as well, asking me a few questions softly and giving me some bitter tasting liquids and pills. I also had lots of water. I really needed it right now. Mom encouraged me to keep on going throughout the process and she answered some questions for me.

I really never thought a time like this would come where she treated me like her baby again and felt real pain for me. Everything was a little bit overwhelming. It was something I always yearned for ever since Dad had passed away and now that I had Mom's love again, I took advantage of every second.

"We were so worried about you, London. You've been unconscious for hours," she said, intertwining our hands and she kissed the back of my hand. "You have to be strong, baby. I know how you are feeling, but you need strength more than anything else right now."

I could tell she was worried. It melted my heart and I just wanted to squeeze her into a tight hug and pour my heart out to her again, but I had much bigger things to face. This wasn't the time to be a baby. Although it sounded impossible in my head, I had to be strong and make it for both of us.

"How is he? How is my husband?" I asked Mom, moving my legs off the bed. If I had been sleeping for hours, it meant there was news regarding him and his condition. "Where is he?" I asked her impatiently.

"Careful, honey," Mom cautioned me, taking it upon herself to help move my legs off the bed. Once my feet were on the ground, she made me wear slippers and sat next to me, holding my hand.

She looked stressed out and exhausted, like she had had a very long day. The entire ward was quiet and I could see through the window that it was already dark outside.

"Mom, I'm worried about Jayden. Did he make it? Are we in the same ward? Can I go and see him right now?" I asked her impatiently.

"Honey," she cooed softly, tucking loose strands of hair behind my ear, "Jayden was badly injured and you saw his condition. It was very critical. The doctors tried their best. He had the best doctors in the country attending to him for the past couple of hours since they brought him here," she explained softly, stroking my hair tenderly. I didn't like where this was going.

"Okay. So the doctors helped him and saved his life, right? Where is he, Mom?" I asked her nervously, feeling blood rush to my face and weird butterflies form in my stomach. I felt sick. "Is he alive?"

Mom gave me a watery smile and she gave my hand a gentle squeeze. "He's in the ICU. He's in a coma, honey. I promise we did everything we could. The situation could not be avoided. I'm sorry, Kyra."

I embraced Mom in a tight hug and buried my face in her neck as tears escaped from my eyes. I couldn't tell if they were tears of joy, grief or pain, but one thing was for sure. I was happy he had made it.