Double Date (Part 13)

You asked for it and I finally got around to it so you better enjoy it or else...

For this chapter to have the right impact you need to read Stepping Out, Meeting Once Again, Carter and the Boy, Returning to Work and Returning to Work: Continued
**********************************

Donovan pushed through the door to the cafe, the coffee-scented space inviting him in. The interior looked like a library transformed into a coffee shop with bookcases lining the walls stacked with books for coffee drinkers' perusing.

The barista smiled at Donovan as she took his order. Coffee in hand, Donovan cut through the maze of round tables to one in the back near the windows.

"I found a new literary love," Donovan said.

He dropped into a seat across from Tyler and set his satchel down on the ground, the books piled inside tumbling over.

"I read Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express," Donovan continued. "Which means I went on an Agatha Christie binge. Poirot is my favorite by far. Here I brought you some of the best."

Donovan pulled out a collection of five books and slid them across the table to Tyler. He nodded and scanned over the titles. Leaning back in his seat, Donovan eyed his friend and took a sip of his coffee.

"These look interesting," Tyler mused.

His response was half-hearted and Donovan saw it. Tyler leaned over and extracted five books from his backpack and set them on the table.

"I liked the top one, The Scarlett Pimpernel," Tyler said. "The other four are Raymond Chandler mysteries. You should like them."

Donovan accepted the books, half looking over them and half glancing at Tyler. His manner was subdued and he stared out at the coffee shop instead of inspecting the books Donovan brought him like he normally would. After sliding his new books into his satchel, Donovan crossed his arms.

"What's up?" he asked.

Tyler peered at Donovan through his glasses and shook his head, feigning ignorance.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Come on man, you realize that we've been meeting up every couple weeks for a year, I know when something is up."

Tyler sank back in his chair, contemplating the table, saying nothing. Donovan continued to drink his coffee, knowing silence always proceeded answers. Both his parents had taught him that.

"You remember dinner the other week?" Tyler eventually said.

Donovan nodded. His brothers had been in town and so Donovan had invited Tyler over for dinner so he could meet them all. Tyler dragged a hand through his hair.

"I don't know," he said.

"Dude spit it out," Donovan said.

"You're going to think I'm ridiculous."

"I don't care, but you not acting more interested in the books is bugging me, so just say it."

Tyler didn't respond but Donovan saw the words building until they eventually escaped.

"I want what you have, okay," Tyler said.

"I don't think you want my brothers, they are annoying and abusive."

Tyler laughed. "No, man. I want what you have with Carter."

At this, Donovan raised his eyebrows. "I thought we covered this, you can't have my wife."