A Girls' Day

This chapter has been months in the making, it's just taken me forever to write it. I hope you like it.

***********************************

"Shouldn't you be doing this with someone else?" Carter said, climbing out of the car into the early summer air. "Like a bridesmaid or something?"

Maddy laughed as she rounded the car and joined Carter on the sidewalk.

"You are a bridesmaid."

"I mean a Maid of Honor, your mother, or a close friend."

Maddy arched her eyebrows, teasing. "Are you saying you aren't my friend?"

"Of course I am. I've said enough blunt things to be thought rude and you still choose to associate with me."

It was something she appreciated about Maddy, she wasn't easy to offend. Which being Carter's friend was a good thing. Carter was aware she was difficult.

"Then this something that friends would do together."

Hooking her arm through Carter's, Maddy directed her to the entrance of a shop. The gesture still felt foreign to Carter. At twenty she still didn't know how to handle the realm of girl friends and bonding time. Though with how cheery Maddy was it helped Carter not feel so uncomfortable.

The interior of the cake shop smelled sweet. Photos of the most lavish wedding cakes adorned the walls. Small, delicate tables ringed with matching chairs filled the main space. A mother and daughter laughed with each other, their tabletop dotted with cake samples. A quartet of girls huddled together, their discussion of each cake's pros and cons have the same energy as a world crisis.

Who knew cake decisions were so important. It was just cake after all, wasn't it?

A woman in a trim business suit but an easy smile strode towards Carter and Maddy. She stretched out her hand.

"Maddy Hooper?" she asked.

Maddy accepted the handshake. "That's correct."

"I'm Kelly, follow me."

The woman directed them to a table and they both sat.

"We have all the samples you wanted ready. Do you want them at once or one at a time?"

"All at once works," Maddy said.

The woman smiled and vanished into a back room. She returned moments later wheeling a cart. Stacked on it were slices of cake on gold-rimmed plates. Beside each sample was a small photo of how the cake would look whole. Carter glanced at the photos. How did some of these cakes look fancier than Carter had ever been in her entire life?

"Leave it there," Maddy said. "That's perfect."

"Great," Kelly said. "Let me know if you have any questions."

She drifted off and Maddy reached for a piece of cake at random. Carter did the same, going for one with a slightly pink center. When she took a bite, it tasted like strawberries and cream, melting in her mouth. At least the effort tasted good.

"So why am I really here?" Carter said, setting aside the cake and reaching for a different one.

"I thought you would enjoy this," Maddy said.

"No, you didn't. This is something that takes serious discussion and you know I wouldn't give you that type of support. So what's up?"

This was one of those cases where after she spoke, Carter realized how blunt she sounded. But Maddy didn't flinch or even blink.