The Honeymoon

No, it's not the type of chapter you're thinking about. Instead it is simply a cute chapter for the sake of being cute.

***********************************

A salty sea breeze brushed across Carter's face as she leaned against the railing. The ocean spread out before her, a never-ending landscape of slate-blue. Below on the beach people were already setting up for a long day of tanning, sandcastle building, and swimming. Out in the water, surfers sat astride their boards, hands brushing over the sea as if they could feel the call of a good wave.

Behind her, she heard the rustling of blankets. She turned and saw as Donovan shifted, his eyes closed against the sunlight. Smiling, she crossed the room and perched on the edge of the bed. Still half asleep, he rolled towards her, his fingers reaching for her. Carter ran a hand through his hair and kissed the side of his face. He smiled, eyes still closed as if he were afraid she was a perfect dream that would disappear.

As she continued to kiss his face, the smile grew and he slid his hand onto the back of her neck, pulling her towards him. Before they could get completely entangled, there was a knock on the door.

"Go away," Donovan growled at the unknown intruder.

"I ordered breakfast."

"Not hungry."

Laughing, she slipped free of his hands and padded over to the door. She peered through the keyhole. Seeing the hotel employee raising his hand again, she opened it.

"I'll take it in," she said, taking hold of the service trolley with one hand and easing it inside. "Thank you."

She handed him a tip and closed the door. She heard the toilet flush as she pushed the trolley right against the bed. Donovan walked out of the bathroom wearing a pair of joggers, his hair a tousled mess that Carter felt the urge to dig her hands into to. Donovan eyed the food but didn't touch it, instead climbing onto the bed.

"We were interrupted," he said, kissing her.

"The food is hot."

"You're hotter."

Carter laughed, but placed a hand on his chest, forcing him back. He scowled in annoyance and she found she very much liked the look on him.

"I've been up for an hour and I'm hungry."

"You could have woken me up."

Carter shrugged. "You looked peaceful."

As Carter went to grab a plate, she winced and retracted her injured arm. Donovan frowned.

"How is it doing?" he asked.

She nodded. "Only stings. As far as bullet wounds go this was minimal."

Still, Donovan gently held her arm, inspecting the bandage and the stitches beneath.

"It's all okay."

"Good."

He handed her a plate and poured himself a cup of coffee. When Carter had eaten enough that she would be content simply picking at the rest, she spoke.

"Since we are officially married, I think it's time that we discuss the things that annoy us about the other person."

Donovan raised his eyebrows at this declaration.

"And what annoyance might you have with me?" he asked.

"For starters, I'm annoyed that you can assemble a gun faster than me."

Donovan grinned. "Don't beat yourself up about it. I have been assembling guns years before you. If you had started at the same time, you would be faster."