Carter and Mason Meet

So I think someone asked for this, but mainly I was really curious about how the antagonism between Carter and Mason started, that is how this was born.

***********************************

Carter stared at her reflection. The new Hamilton Prep uniform fit her well enough and looked impressive, freshly pressed, and with its badge on the chest. But she didn't care. The girl in the mirror had lifeless eyes and a hallow look about her. The vibrant, determined girl of two weeks ago hadn't reappeared and Carter didn't think she ever would.

Her father stepped into the bathroom doorway and Carter met his eyes in the reflection. They watched each other, twin mirrors of pain.

"You ready to go?" he asked.

She lied when she nodded. She didn't want to leave the apartment. Most days she found it hard to climb out of bed. Grabbing her beat-up backpack, she followed her father out of the apartment.

The car held silence. The news played but went unheard. As the car passed the security check and pulled through the gates into Hamilton Prep, Carter couldn't muster anything at all.

Gray brick with vines climbing the outer walls, it looked like history and old money. A fraction of Carter still functioning knew that she did not belong here. But after everything her father had done to make it a possibility, she would say nothing. Besides, it meant she knew no one. That no one knew the old her. She liked it better this way.

As she followed her father up the front steps, she noticed the way other students wore their uniforms. Despite all appearing to wear the same navy blazer, oxford shirt, and khaki pants or skirt, they each held their own distinctive take on it, setting them apart from each other. For Carter that set her apart in a way that was all too apparent that she didn't have their type of money.

When Carter and her father walked into the main office, a man in a gray suit with graying hair approached them, a smile at the ready.

"You must be Mr. Owens," the man said. "I'm Principal Withers."

The two men shook hands and Principal Withers smiled in greeting at Carter.

"We're happy to have you here with us, Ms. Owens. Your test scores are unlike any we've seen before and we have no doubt you'll do well here." He gave a joking laugh. "As long as you stay out of trouble."

Carter's father laid a hand on Carter's shoulder and for a moment she wanted him to hug her. She wanted to feel like she wasn't drowning on dry land. He met her gaze and gave her a slight nod. She straightened, letting it be what she needed.

"Don't worry," her father said. "You'll have no trouble from Carter."

After the two men exchanged more information, Carter was handed a class schedule. The cheery-looking secretary guided her out of the office door and pointed down the hall.

"Your first class is just around the corner," she said.

Carter thanked her and looked to her father, who exited the office.

"Have a good day at school," he said.

"Okay."

As she turned away, he spoke again.

"I love you, Sarge," he said.

Carter felt her throat tighten in response.

"I love you too, Captain."

Forcing a smile for his benefit, she turned away, her face falling the second he couldn't see her. She needed to be strong for him. By the time Carter got to her classroom, the bell had already rung. She stepped inside and the room fell silent, eyes pinning her in the doorway.