The Birth

Because so many of you asked for it! Again I'm not sure if it's what you imagined, but I hope you like it all the same!

***********************************

A gasp of pain jolted Donovan from his dreams. He shot up and looked around, trying to disperse the sleep from his eyes. The room was mostly dark, only slivers of moonlight making it through the curtains. Beside him, Carter sat bent over, her hand resting on her protruding stomach.

"Donovan." The strain in her voice told him everything.

"Now?" he asked.

She gave a nod and grimaced as agony darted through her and she took a sharp inhale. That small sign of pain sent panic through Donovan. This was the moment they had been getting ready for and yet he felt completely unprepared. Fighting the surge of conflicting emotions, he swept the blanket aside, letting his training take over.

In the blackness of the room, only vague shapes were visible but he moved around as if he could see. On an armchair was packed duffle bag with everything they needed for the hospital and an outfit for Carter. Grabbing it, he strode to her side of the bed. She had managed to swing her legs off the end, but that was about it. Carter was wearing one of his old shirts that had been stretched out to fit around her belly. Donovan flicked on the light and called for an Uber.

As he helped her get dressed, he tried to clamp down on the mounting feeling of anxiety. But as hard as he tried, it kept building, threatening to drag him down. With all the strength he possessed, he kept his fear from showing.

"Okay," he said, taking Carter's hands and helping her stand.

He slung the duffle over his shoulder and moved to open the door. As Donovan turned back to get Carter, she rested a hand on his arm. Despite the pain, she was calm, as if it and the approaching birth of her child were nothing new.

"Donovan," she said, her voice gentle. "I know I and others would enjoy the view, but maybe you should put on some clothes."

It was only then that Donovan looked down and realized he was still in a pair of boxers. So focused on Carter he had forgotten about himself. Tossing off the duffle, he yanked open the closet.

"I'll just be a second."

Carter's answer was a soft laugh. After pulling on a pair of jeans, t-shirt, hoody, and shoes, Donovan lifted the bag and took Carter's hand. They had barely gone a step, when she winced, clutching her stomach. Even knowing how strong Carter was the sight of her hurting was torture to Donovan, like a spike to the chest.

"Breathe," he said, holding her side. "I'm right here."

She nodded and let out a slow breath. Once the contraction eased, they headed out. Though Donovan loved the grace in which Carter had always moved there was something about the pregnant waddle that he found endearing and knew he would miss it. Because of the walk and the pain it took them twice as long to get downstairs and into the waiting car than usual.

The city was sleeping, the day on the edge of tomorrow. Street lamps banished bits of the darkness guiding the few pedestrians who were out. In the back of the car, Donovan held Carter's hand. Her head rested on his shoulder as if the small trip down had worn her out. As they drove, Donovan counted the minutes, her contractions were coming every five.

The car pulled up to the hospital's front doors and Donovan climbed out, swinging around to the other side to help Carter.

"Good luck!" the driver called.

Donovan barely nodded and closed the door. Bright lights greeted them as they made a slow progression to the sliding door. Inside was quiet and smelled of cleaning solutions. At the sight of Carter, a nurse jumped up and wheeled around a chair, helping her into it.