A Normal Day

You see that? ☝️ You see that title, that is a warning that this is NORMAL, that might mean boring, but I paired it with something else so I still think it has a little kick to it. Hope you enjoy!

***********************************

The alarm woke Carter from her sleep, but she turned over ignoring it. The beeping was shut off and Carter felt as the bed dipped as Donovan rolled towards her.

"We have to get up," he said, sliding one arm around her waist.

"It's Saturday," Carter moaned into her pillow.

Donovan kissed her shoulder and she squirmed away from him.

"It is Saturday which means we have an appointment we have to keep."

Carter buried herself deeper into her blankets, cocooning herself in warmth.

"You go, I'll be here when you get back."

When Donovan's arm disappeared from around her, she smiled, snuggling into the folds. Her victory was short-lived as the blankets were ripped off of her. She swore and rolled away, searching for cover. She didn't have time to find it before she was lifted off the bed and flung over Donovan's shoulder. Still half asleep, she folded her arms and rested her head against them.

"Carter, you have to wake up," Donovan said, jostling her. 

She refused to open her eyes, completely fine falling asleep where she was. When she was thrown back onto the bed, she let out a surprised gasp as she landed among the pillowing blankets. The shock of it snapped her from her sleepy state.

"Are you up?" Donovan asked.

In answer, she scrambled to her feet and launched herself at Donovan. They both crashed to the ground, Carter on top of him.

"Yeah, I'm awake," she said.

Donovan laughed, his hands coming to rest on her legs.

"You know when your father warned me about how terrible you were in the morning, I never believed him. But three years of marriage have proven me wrong."

Gathering up her tangled hair, Carter leaned down and kissed him.

"At least you've found what works. I'm just glad it's not a bucket of water."

"I'm not sure I would live if I tried that."

Carter flashed a wicked grin and placed her hands on either side of his head.

"You would not. And I would hate to have to kill you."

Leaning forward, she kissed him again. But before either of them could get carried away, she rose and headed for the closet. In five minutes she was dressed and back in the room, making the bed. Donovan came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her.

"Your military corners are a thing of beauty," he said.

She laughed and nudged him away so she could finish the job.

"Calm down, we have an appointment to keep."

Donovan took care of his side of the bed and they left the apartment. The sun was only just cresting the sky as they stepped out onto the sidewalk. Golden light haloed the tops of buildings and promised a cheery day. The pair headed towards The Mall, their strides matching, their heartbeats always aligned.

When they made it to the Reflecting Pool a happy shout greeted them. Danny bounced up and down, his five-year-old body bursting with energy. In comparison, Carter's father was a statue, standing beside his son. When Carter and Donovan got closer, Danny raced forward and threw his arms around Carter. She bent over and kissed his unruly hair.