Resolution (Part 4)

Don't read this unless you asked for it cause I don't know if it will make you cry or not. But anyways this is the conclusion to the previous two chapters.

If you want names of who asked for this and want to blame them then I have them. You can start with my sister JoymomentsSISTER if you want to. Again I'm sorry if this makes you cry but remember no one is making you read it. I'm just tantalizing you by posting it. 😁

***********************************

The murmur of Carter's own name drew her from sleep. As she peered into the darkness of the bedroom, she heard her name again, wrapped around with fear, sorrow, and panic. Vision clearing, Carter could make out Donovan's taut form beside her. Every muscle tensed as he gripped the bedsheet. Sweat beaded on his forehead, brows pinched together.

"Carter," he said, fingers digging into the mattress. "Don't...Stay."

Carter ran her hand up Donovan's arm. "Donovan, wake up."

She shook his shoulder, but he remained locked in his nightmare. She said his name louder, trying to break him out. When she said his name for the third time, he woke with a shudder, wildly looking around, trying to remember where he was. Carter held his face.

"Hey, I'm right here. It was only a dream. I'm right here."

Donovan let out a breath and nodded, eyes trained on her.

"I know," he said. "Only a dream."

When his eyes slid away from hers, it felt like someone trying to rip her heart from her chest. Shame hid in the action. Shame of still having dreams while she lay beside him. Still dealing with the same fear even after two weeks of constantly being around her.

Carter wanted to pull away, detach herself from this pain she put him in. As she moved to return to her side of the bed, Donovan caught her arm. She didn't ask what he needed, knowing.

She curled herself against him, his arms encasing her, holding her close. Needing the reminder her of presence as he tried to find sleep again. With his face buried in her hair, he drifted off.

But Carter couldn't find sleep. Even as close as she lay to Donovan, she couldn't help but feel the gap between them. One that seemed to shrink and grow each day.

When Carter knew Donovan was asleep, she slipped from his hold and out of the bedroom. She peeked into Kennedy's room, taking a minute to watch her daughter sleep before easing the door shut. In the living room, she curled up onto the edge of the couch and stared out on the city.

With the darkness all around her, she let her emotions escape. Happiness, patience, reassurance. Everything she showed the world melted away, replaced by an ache that cut into her. She blinked and tears spilled over.

In faking her death, she'd done what she thought right, to protect her family. Everyone she loved. There had been no other way out, but still, the burden of her choice and all the pain it caused weighed on her. Crushing her in moments when Donovan would say something that felt like his old self, the self that no longer lived or when Kennedy hugged Carter a second longer.

The blame laid on her. Everything she faced with trying to rebuild their family was her fault. Carter covered her face with her hands, quietly crying. Even now her regret and grief for what she lost couldn't be seen by anyone else. Not when she was the reason for it.

The patter of footsteps made her pause. The footsteps weren't frantic but they were hurried and Carter could detect the fear in them. Wiping her eyes, she looked up as Donovan came into the room, searching.