Babysitting

Oh wow, is this one chapter that I literally planned to never write EVER and have yet written it for you! WHY AM I EVEN SURPRISED ANYMORE!!!

***********************************

Mason stepped off the elevator and strode down the hallway, stopping at Link's door. After he knocked, he slid his hands into his pockets, completely at ease. But Mason had to be honest, when was he never at ease. Others dealt with discomfort and struggled with inner turmoil but that wasn't him.

Link opened the door and smiled at Mason. Only for his brother was Mason quick to return the smile.

"I'm here to steal my nephew," Mason announced.

"Really?" Link asked.

"Yeah, but for about an hour."

"Any break is welcomed."

Link left the door and Mason took a step inside. The living looked like a typical Saturday morning at the Evan's apartment with toys strewn about the place and breakfast dishes still waiting to be loaded up in the kitchen. It was messy but a messiness that was somehow homey.

Though Mason didn't like the messiness. Messiness bothered him. Maybe it came from growing up with house cleaners but life was better when it had order and looked neat.

"Harrison," Link said. "Mason is here."

Harrison raised his head from where he sat on the floor playing with dinosaurs.

"Ace!" he cried and pushed himself up.

At three-years-old, he reached just above Mason's knee.

"Hey, Good Looking," Mason said. "Go put your shoes on. We're going to the park."

Harrison hurried away and Link beamed at his son as if watching him was all he needed to be happy in life. For some reason, Mason couldn't stop staring at his brother and the complete adoration on his face.

It was a kid and one that caused more problems than he caused peace. Was that level of love warranted? Mason couldn't deny he loved Harrison. But he also saw him in small doses. What would it be like to constantly be dealing with the fact that he was a tiny human being who couldn't do really anything for himself?

Harrison returned, nearly tripping over himself to get away with Mason. A sentiment Mason approved of. After all, he was the uncle that everyone wanted. Harrison reached his hand up for Mason's.

His hand disappeared inside Mason's. How could anything be so small?

"We'll be back with war stories," Mason said, leaving the apartment.

They didn't go far, only across the hall where Mason knocked on the door. When it opened, Carter stood on the other side in sweats and her hair tied up.

"I'm here to kidnap your offspring," he said.

He peered over Carter's shoulder to where Kennedy lay sprawled on the floor, coloring.

"Hey, Trouble," he said. "We're going to the park."

Kennedy scrambled up to her little legs and raced over to them.

"Hold up," Mason said. "Get shoes on. You aren't some country bumpkin who can run around barefoot."

Kennedy plopped into the floor beside the front door and struggled to tug on her shoes.

"What brought this unexpected visit?" Carter said, crouching down by her daughter to be at hand if she needed help but letting her work on her own.

"I like how the moms at the park look at me showing up in a suit with two kids. It does amazing things for my ego."