A Missed Call

Technically it's what you asked for though technically it's not exactly what you wanted but that's just a technicality

***********************************

This man was an idiot. True, Mason knew most of the human race to be idiots but this man seemed to be an exceptional case. The galling fact of this man's idiocy was that Mason had to work with him and not let him know how much of an idiot he thought him to be.

"Stop looking around," Mason said into the mic, watching his computer screen. "If you keep doing that the hotel staff will think you're suspicious."

The man in his mid-twenties sitting on a chair in the hotel's lobby reached up to touch the comm in his ear.

"Don't touch your ear!" Mason snapped.

An idiot. An idiot of the highest level. This man could win an award for how completely stupid he was. How did he make it into the FBI? Was the bar so low that anyone could waltz right in and get a job?

Granted, this man was as plain as a person could be and that worked as an advantage, he would go unnoticed. But that couldn't be the only reason he got a job.

"I will let you know when to move," Mason said. "So stop acting skittish."

A rookie. How had he been saddled with a rookie? And on the last week he would be at the job for a few months. Fine, Mason would acknowledge this assignment was perfect for a rookie. Plant a bug. In and out. So simple a baby could do it.

A baby.

Mason laced his hands behind his head. Three weeks and a new baby would be in the world.

His baby.

Mason dragged a hand down his face. That thought didn't terrify him. No. It was simply a logical step that followed months of Yvette being pregnant. He knew it was coming and therefore didn't need to be nervous about it. Which he wasn't.

"Stop looking at the elevators," Mason said.

He'd never admit it, but he hated Carter and Donovan. Fine, it was possible that he'd admit that. But not why he hated them.

He hated them because they left the FBI and left him to deal with idiots. Idiots that when he insulted them merely took the insults. Which showed their level of idiocy. Who simply accepted an insult and didn't return it?

Also the idiots around him didn't do their jobs with the same level of efficiency and flair as Carter and Donovan. It had been months since a warehouse had been blow up. What was the point of taking down a drug cartel if a warehouse wasn't destroyed in the process?

He really hated them for leaving him.

He wasn't pathetic enough to quit and join Clint Keller's consulting company. He was not that desperate. Besides, he hated them. Why would he work with them again?

"All right," Mason said, watching as a polished man in his thirties exited the elevator, heading towards the bar. Their target: Frank Wright. "You can move. Smoothly. And for goodness sake don't glance around you."

Agent Jones stood and crossed to the elevators. Agent. Mason still didn't understand how he'd gotten the position but at least this task would be easily finished and he could go home. He'd happily run around and do any small things Yvette needed so she didn't have to move. As long as he didn't have to deal with Agent Jones for a long time.

In his own hotel room, sitting in front of three different computers with dozens of camera angles, Mason watched Jones exit the elevator as Frank Wright took a seat at the bar.