The Cousins

I said I would never write this yet here I am. I don't even know why I say anything anymore! 🤦🏽‍♀️

A photo from The Office is referenced in the middle of the chapter, I put the photo at the bottom so you know what they're talking about. Enjoy!

***********************************

Kennedy pushed the door open and entered the coffee shop, Harrison right behind her. As the warmth and the bittersweet scent wrapped her up, she scanned the crowded tables. Cheery holiday music played over the speakers, even though it was still November. She spotted the group in the back and carved her way there. She plopped into the only empty seat while Harrison snagged a free chair.

"Sorry I'm late," Kennedy said.

Elle passed Kennedy a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie on a napkin. Kennedy took the cup while Harrison stole the cookie.

"All right," Micah said. "Let's get this Keller Cousin, plus Harrison, meeting going."

Kennedy leaned back in her chair, embraced by the familiarity of her cousins. Even though they were towards the back of the coffee shop, she knew they were garnering looks. She didn't blame other people, they were an interesting group.

Brock and Ashley's kids: Elle and Theo were named after their grandparents. They were classically good-looking with blonde hair, blue eyes, and the slightest of tan skin from their father.

They took their role as Irish twins to the level of being real twins. When Elle wanted to be a cheerleader, Theo joined her. Together, at sixteen and fifteen, they pulled off stunts that shocked Kennedy.

Clint and Eva's kids: Micah, Haven, and Timothy were striking in looks and demeanor. Dark complexions, strong cheekbones, and intense eyes. They all carried themselves with a poise and confidence that Kennedy, at fifteen, admired and envied.

Micah was a born leader, at seventeen he was student body President and everyone expected him to be a real president one day. Haven was junior class president and debate champion at sixteen. Timothy was the quietest of the three at fifteen, but a genius when it came to chess.

James and Ali's kid: Zoya was a paradox. Sweet looking with a cherubic face, satin brown skin, and honey-colored eyes but spicy with a sass that reveled everyone else's. She could outargue anyone all while smiling like she was your best friend.

Kennedy loved all of them to death.

"It's time that we put an end," Micah said. "To the stupid Christmas cards."

The group all cheered in unison, Kennedy one of the loudest. Each year they were all forced into uniform or matching outfits and posed together. When she was younger, Kennedy didn't care. Now she was fifteen, she could not let this go on. It was plain embarrassing.

"How are we going to stop it?" Elle asked.

"Grandpa Keller lives for the cards and we all know it," Theo said, running his hands through his blonde hair.

At a table over a few girls were trying to watch him without being noticed. But Kennedy knew Theo was aware. His father was Uncle Brock after all. He knew his strengths and played them up.

Aware of Theo's subtle preening, Micah smacked his arm.

"Theo, focus," he said. "Besides you have a girlfriend."

Theo tried to look innocent but none of the cousins believed his act.

"I know grandpa loves them," Haven said. "But we're older now. We can't be taking stupid pictures. I love you all but this could be used as blackmail for me later on."