Finding Solutions

Gosh I can't believe I wrote this. As you requested.

You should know this chapter is completely ridiculous and it's a different ridiculous than the mission chapters, still you might like it.

Disclaimer: to my guy readers, you might get an insight to girls.

To my girl readers...I'm sorry for raising the bar yet again.

***********************************

The day was warm contradicting what the calendar said. The late afternoon sun was sighing and soaking up the last of its glory before it dimmed for the autumn.

Donovan cut the car's engine and climbed out, feeling as heat encased him. The metal staircase clanged as he jogged up it. Link was secure in his room talking to Maddy and that meant that Donovan was free for at least six hours.

Though he had been at Carter's place countless times since they had started dating, Donovan still felt a nervous pulse. He knocked. From beyond the door, he heard the thumping beat of a bass that was too loud. He knocked again, but still no answer. He gave the knob a tentative twist and found it unlocked.

The full force of the music hit him as he stepped inside.

"Carter?" he asked, cautious to enter further without full permission.

There was no answer. Determined to still see her, Donovan made his way to her bedroom where the source of the noise was coming from. He rapped his knuckles on the door, but with the volume of the music, he guessed the chance of her hearing was pretty slim. Taking out his phone, he called her, but she didn't pick up.

After a minute debate, where his hand made treks through his hair, he reached for the doorknob. Hoping he wasn't going to regret his next move, he opened the door.

What waited for him on the other side made him freeze.

Carter was dressed in workout clothes and beating the punching bag. With a spin, she kicked the taut leather, making the bag swing. Before the bag had drifted back to her, she dropped to the ground and did a round of fifteen push-ups, then flipped onto her back and did a rep of thirty crunches. She had barely finished when she jumped back to her feet and attacked the punching bag again.

The ferocity and speed in which she performed the routine startled Donovan. It was more than a want to get her heart racing, it was as if she were trying to outrun something.

"Carter!" he said, over the thundering bass.

When she didn't respond, he crossed the door and shut off her music. At the silence, she spun on him, her face lined in irritation.

"What?" she snapped.

Donovan raised his eyebrows, surprised at the bite.

"I wanted to see you," he said.

Carter blew furiously at a strand hair that had fallen into her face.

"Well, I don't want to see you. So stop being a clingy boyfriend and leave me alone."

Donovan frowned, the words striking something in his chest. Staring at her, he ran a hand through his hair again, disheveling it even further. Carter turned back to the punching bag and gave it a savage kick. Knowing a threat when he saw it, he left.

At the top of the stairs, he paused, confusion clouding his mind. He was halfway to his car when a thought hit him. Checking his phone, the wrinkle of puzzlement cleared. Passing his car, he sent out a message.

"Sir, I want confirmation on a bit of information. Carter is doing a routine of push-ups, crunches and attack maneuvers. Is this what I think it is?"