Heart to Heart

Everyone has wanted a Donovan and Mason chapter. Here you go! Don't say I never cave to your demands and slowly lose all essence of personal identity as a writer because of you.

It's a little simple and so I'm sorry if it's boring.

(Also references the Carter Broken Saga)
***********************************

A muffled squeal came from beneath the towel as Kennedy squirmed in Donovan's hold.

"Agent missing, agent missing!" he said, scrubbing Kennedy's hair with the towel. "I repeat, we have an agent missing! Agent Kenny was last seen by the bathtub. Does anyone have eyes on Agent Kenny?"

Another shriek of laughter came from under the towel and Kennedy wiggled more as Donovan dried her.

"We can't lose this Agent!" Donovan said. "This is one of our best Agents! Does someone have eyes on Agent Kenny? I repeat does anyone have eyes on Agent Kenny?"

When Donovan whipped away the towel, Kennedy bounced, her hair flying about her face.

"I'm here. I'm here!"

"Agent Kenny!" Donovan wrapped the towel around her again and hugged her, blowing raspberries on her chubby cheeks. "We thought we lost you. We've found our agent. I repeat Agent Kenny has been found."

Kennedy laughed and wiggled in Donovan's arms. Grinning, Donovan set her down and finished towel drying her hair. She stared at him with her big, blue eyes and Donovan's heart expanded. He'd never known his world could be contained in one small, human being but there she stood, watching him like he was the one who ruled the world. He never wanted that look to go away.

"What will it be tonight," he asked. "Bunny or baby chick?"

"Bunny!" Kennedy said bouncing again and looking a little like a bunny in the process.

"Okay."

Donovan picked up the bunny onesie. With a new diaper on, Kennedy placed her little hands on his shoulders as he guided her foot into one leg and then the next. When he zipped her up, he took the hood, with the two ears attached, and placed it on her head.

"Are you my bunny?" he asked.

Kennedy nodded and Donovan kissed her head. Giving Kennedy a small washcloth to be in charge of, he neatened up the bathroom and took her hand. In the small hallway, he lifted the lid to the laundry basket and Kennedy stood on her tiptoes to put the washcloth in.

"Good job!" Donovan said. He held out his hand. "High-five."

Kennedy happily slapped it and they headed into the family room. As they moved to the couch, a knock came on the door. Donovan leaned down. "Go pick out books to read."

Kennedy scampered off as Donovan crossed to the front door. He took a step back when he found Mason on the other side.

"Hey," he said.

Something about Mason's eyes told Donovan this wasn't a causal visit, but his manner seemed to contradict his expression. He strolled into the apartment with his hands in his pockets and a light swagger.

"Hey, Trouble," he said.

Kennedy's head shot up and a smile spread across her face.

"Ace!"

Pushing herself up, she raced over to him, her bunny ears flopping. She tackled his legs with a hug and Mason took a second before patting her head.

But Donovan watched him and knew Carter had been right. Why he even felt a little surprised, baffled him. Carter knew people. More than that, Carter knew Mason in a way Donovan didn't think anyone beside Yvette did.