Unwanted Attention

I've been curious how Carter would handle a typical Teen Fiction novel situation...😂🤣 this is what I got.

***********************************

Carter sat back in her chair watching the stream of seniors enter the math class. One of the only two sophomores in the class, Carter warranted even less notice than usual. This didn't bother her, it was better than when anyone did pay her attention. Those times it didn't end well on either side.

A senior entered the room that Carter had never seen in that class before. He had perfectly tousled hair, sharp cheekbones, and dark green eyes. From the tailored lines of his uniform, she could tell he took care of himself. There was something about him that made Carter cautious. It was more than he knew he was good-looking, it was that he seemed the type to enjoy breaking hearts.

Before her mother had left, Carter used to read Teen Fiction books. But after they seemed shallow to the pain she faced and hated the cheap happy endings. Looking at this new classmate, Carter felt there was only one tag to attach to him: cliché bad boy.

As if to prove this, he strolled down the aisle towards the empty seat next to Mason, a slight swagger in his step.

"Mason," the guy said.

Mason raised his head from his phone and nodded to the newcomer. "Jamison. What are you doing in this class?"

"My schedule got rearranged so I got bumped to here." Jamison's eyes trailed away from Mason to Carter. A slow crooked smile overtook his face. "Hi. I don't think we've met, if we had I'm pretty sure I'd remember."

Carter stared back at the guy, baffled. She knew that her uniform from last year fit differently due to more development, but she seriously didn't think she merited his notice.

"Oh, this is Carter Owens," Mason said like she was no one of consequence.

"I'm Jamison," Jamison said, still wearing his crooked smile.

Carter wondered if as a sophomore she should be flattered by his attention but she wasn't. Though she could admit his smile was disarming, she wasn't drawn to it. This guy was not her type. She didn't care for cocky.

"Okay," she said.

The unfazed remark made Jamison's smile quirk with surprise and curiosity. Before he could say more, the final bell rang and class began. Carter put Jamison out of her mind as she took notes. When class was released, she shouldered her messenger bag and joined the tide in the hallway.

A second later, Jamison caught up to her.

"Where are you running off to?" he asked.

"What aspect of my casual stride would you equate to 'running off'?"

Again a flash of curiosity darted through Jamison's expression.

"Figure of speech. Where are you headed, I can walk you there?"

"You know, as feeble as I am as a girl I think I can manage to make it from point A to B without a male escort."

Jamison laughed a warm teasing sound that attracted surrounding gazes, including a few girls who threw Carter baffled looks. Yeah, she didn't understand why he was walking with her either.

"You're cute," Jamison said.

"Okay."

Why was he still following her?

As Carter cut away from the mass of students and towards the doorway of her A.P. Euro class, Jamison blocked her path, putting one hand on the doorframe.