Getting In Trouble

Not going to lie, this is not my best. I was on a dive into Donovan's early life kick so I wrote this but I don't know if you like it.

So with that resounding vote of confidence, read at your own risk. 😄

***********************************

The metallic bang of Donovan's locker door opening got lost in the noise of the busy hallway. Donovan put his social studies textbook inside his locker then stared at it. Social studies. He'd taken the class ages ago, but now he repeated history. It didn't get better the second time.

For a brief moment, Donovan wanted to take the textbook and rip it in half, just to feel the way the binding split in his hands. He didn't. Instead, he did everything he should, shut the locker door, and zipped up his backpack.

Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed Donovan, spun him around and shoved him against his locker. Stars popped in his vision as he hit his head against the hard metal. When he blinked the dizziness away, he found himself staring at Kyle Denton. A boy, though only fourteen, already matching Donovan for height and muscle. Kyle glared at Donovan with murder in his eyes.

"Stay the hell away from Lauren," he growled.

Donovan knocked Kyle's hand away from his shoulder.

"You're delusional if you think I even have a clue what you're talking about," Donovan said, passively.

Kyle shoved Donovan again and anger flared inside Donovan. The emotion raced through him, sparking every nerve, tensing every muscle. It felt good, it felt energizing.

"There's a rumor going around that you two were making out behind the gym," Kyle said.

Donovan knew he shouldn't do anything, should let this boy have his say and eventually leave. But Donovan needed this. Needed a fight. Needed action. He craved it.

So when Kyle went to shove Donovan again, Donovan slammed his palms into the boy's chest, sending him staggering back. Kyle stumbled, shocked at the strength and force of the hit. Donovan could feel the edge of his lips wanting to curl. He vibrated with energy. After a year of mind-numbing monotony, it felt good to have a change.

Fury sparked in Kyle's eyes as Donovan's reaction created a wall of onlookers. Students silently asked Kyle if he was going to take that kind of treatment. Kyle stormed forward, fists curled. He swung at Donovan with all the grace of a lumbering bear. Donovan wanted to laugh at the boy's lack of training. With barely a thought, Donovan blocked the punch and smacked Kyle on the side of the head, like he was reprimanding an unruly kid. The strike disoriented Kyle and he tottered to one side, clutching his ringing ear.

The crowd clapped and shouted their appreciation. Enough of them had been on the receiving end of Kyle's anger. Donovan stood, hands waiting at his sides, knees bent slightly, waiting for another chance to put this punk in his place. It felt amazing to move, to act, to fight. He willed Kyle to come at him again.

But Kyle didn't get the chance.

Before Kyle could charge Donovan again, a teacher cut through the onlookers and grabbed Kyle's arm and pointed at Donovan.

"Both of you are coming with me," he said.

At the stern command and twisted features of the teacher, Donovan crashed back into himself, struck by the stupidity of his actions. Had he really gotten into a fight with a fourteen-year-old? Grabbing his backpack, he trailed after the teacher, spotting Link in the crowd, eyes wide. Shame crept over Donovan. He wasn't a middle-schooler looking to prove he could take on the school bully. He was a Marine given a job. A job he'd ignored for his own selfish reasons.