Stand Off

Someone asked for something along these lines and because I have this stupid called love for you, I wrote it. 🙄

***********************************

Donovan first became conscious of the hard, cold concrete surface beneath him. The second was the heaviness in his limbs. The third was the absence of sound all around him. The fourth was the unease in the pit of his stomach.

Slowly, he pried his eyes open, blinking into the dim light. The only source of illumination was a single lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. With its help, he was able to make out a square room entirely made out of concrete with only a single metal table on one side. It could be nothing other than a bad sign.

As his grogginess wore off, he pushed himself into a sitting position, working to connect the events that got him here. Before he could work through anything, he heard a soft groan behind him. He twisted around and his heart sank.

Carter lay on the floor.

Wincing at the stiffness in his muscles, Donovan crawled over to her. He pushed back her hair and cupped her face, looking for signs of abuse. When he found none he let out a breath.

"Carter," he whispered.

She stirred but didn't open her eyes.

"Carter, wake up."

With what looked like all the strength she had, Carter opened her eyes. They were unfocused and Donovan didn't know if she even registered that he was there. Whatever dosage of knock out drug he had been given, he guessed she had been given the same. He was lucky the high amount hadn't killed her. 

"Hey," he said, caressing her cheek, willing her to stay with him. "I'm right here."

"Don..."

Her eyes closed again and her head lulled to the side. Lifting her into his arms, Donovan sank onto the ground, pushing his back against the wall, holding Carter close to him. Her head dropped onto his shoulder and her breath brushed against his neck making him realize how cold it was in their prison.

"You gotta stay with me, Carter," he said, tightening his grip, willing his warmth to help rouse her. "We're going to get out of this."

He had no idea how. He didn't know where they were. The last thing he could remember was playing a barman at the Phoenix Club, mixing drinks, Carter acting as a server, and then nothing. As far as he could tell their cover had been blown. He didn't want to think what it meant that they had been kept alive. He knew what was coming.

In response to his dark thoughts, he kissed Carter's head fearing the future.

"We're going to get out of this," he said.

"Donovan..."

He peered down at her, watching as she tilted her head back to look at him. Her eyes were more focused but he could see how the drug was still keeping her strength at bay.

"It's going to be okay," he said.

Carter blinked. "Liar."

Despite it all, Donovan couldn't help but chuckle. "You just need to stay with me."

"I don't ever plan...on leaving you."

Fear coursed through Donovan as he stared into the eyes that he knew better than his own. He wasn't going to be able to face torture with Carter here, knowing that she would hear what was happening to him. He couldn't bear the thought of her being hurt. He didn't know how they were going to do this.

He pulled her back to him, needing to sit in the moment of delusional comfort for just a moment. To feel her arms wrap around him. To smell her hair and breath in all that she was.