The Russian Dancer

Because I literally just referenced it and people wanted to know what it was and again you control me. Obviously. 🙄

***********************************

"You can't do this," Carter said. "Don't go."

The vehemence in Carter's voice almost made Donovan rethink his decision but he couldn't. This was what he had to do.

"Carter, you know that I don't have a choice," he said, voice soothing, trying to still her emotions.

"You do. You can say no. You don't have to do this."

"Actually, he does," Mason said.

Carter spun to where Mason was sitting at the panel of computers and Donovan knew she had found someone to snap at.

"Shut up, Mason!"

Mason waved his hands, pretending to be scared and went back to typing away at the keyboard. Carter pressed her fingers into her temples and Donovan hated how she disliked what he had to do. He wasn't a fan either but there were somethings you couldn't say no to.

"Why does it have to be you?" she said. "Why can't anyone else go instead?"

Donovan laid his hands on her arms. "You know why. I know Russian."

Frustrated, Carter flung his hands off her. "And no one else in the FBI knows Russian?"

Mason snorted. "Sure, you want Harvey from analysis trying to seduce a hot Russian?"

Carter curled her fingers and Donovan raised his hands. "She's not that hot."

"Oh, yes she is," Mason said. "I saw her profile." He whistled appreciatively. "I love a good beach selfie."

"Mason shut up before I strangle you with that computer cable," Carter snapped.

Finally, Mason swiveled around in his chair. "You know Carter you really need to get a better threat. Last week it was 'Mason shut up or I'll strangle you with that necktie', 'that phone cord', 'my bare hands'. I'm just not feeling it anymore."

When Carter's face cleared, Donovan knew Mason was in for it. Carter even smiled a little at him. "Mason, shut up or I'll shoot you in the leg."

Unperturbed, Mason pointed at her. "See now that's creative and terrifying. Did it really take that much effort?"

Growling in irritation, Carter palmed her eyes. "Seriously, no one else can do this?"

"No," Donovan said.

"He's pretty much identical to every guy she's dated in the past," Mason said.

As if to prove his point and further anger Carter, he brought up images of Karina's previous boyfriends. All of them were well built with bronze skin and dark hair like Donovan. Once the Bureau had seen that and known that Donovan spoke Russian there was no way out of the situation.

Carter peered up at Donovan, all her annoyance replaced with resignation. "Why did you have to learn Russian?"

"I was bored the summer of Link's freshman year."

"Why Russian?"

"Because I already knew French and Spanish and Link's mom planned for us to spend a week in Moscow over break."

Sighing, Carter shook her head. "I would be mad at you if it wasn't so attractive. Okay." She adjusted his bowtie and pressed her hands down his lapels. "At least this time I get to be the server and can avoid the revealing dress."