Coming Back Together (Part 2)

The conclusion you wanted!

***********************************

Five months since the decision to take a break. Three months since he'd seen Carter. It had only been three months, but to Donovan it felt like an eternity.

He stared at the elevator numbers as they ascended, willing them to move fast. His duffle bag hung off his shoulder. He hadn't even bothered going from the airport to his apartment. Instead, he came directly to the Bureau knowing Carter would be there.

Three months he'd been away working with his team on a case. In those three months he hadn't talked to Carter at all. It was one the the terms Carter had settled for the time apart. She wanted to be completely focused on dealing with her issues.

But right then Donovan didn't want to be on a break. He wanted his girlfriend back. He wanted his best friend back.

When the elevator stopped, Donovan stood in front of the doors ready to barrel out. He needed to see her.

But before Donovan could charge out, he found the space in front of the elevator filled with a group of people.

In the center of it was Carter, arms crossed, staring down Agent Booth. An agent Donovan knew had been at the Bureau for ten years.

Donovan paused. Why wasn't she with Brock's team?

The group split to let Donovan pass and he exited, hearing Carter talk.

"With all due respect, sir," Carter said. "You're wrong. You aren't looking at it from a profiler's view and that's skewing your theory."

Donovan stopped, fighting back a smile at the girl who he loved, who was able to talk to a senior agent like that with absolute conviction.

The group entered the elevator and only then did Carter notice Donovan. Her face remained exactly the same.

"Hi Donovan," she said. "You're back."

She focused back on Booth as the doors slid closed. Donovan stood there, feeling like someone had punched him in the face. That was it? That was it? No change in her expression? No sign at all that his return after three months meant anything to her.

Donovan couldn't move. Didn't move. Carter had lived constantly in his mind since the break. Even when he worked cases with his team, she was there. Sometimes it was wondering what she was doing, how she was doing. Other times it was her voice helping view the case, asking questions he hadn't thought of.

She was always with him.

But from the way she hadn't even reacted it was like he was no longer with her.

"Donovan, you're back," Mason said, sauntering towards him with a mug in his hands.

Donovan pulled himself together, no way was he letting Mason Douglas see him rattled.

"Yes, I'm back," Donovan said.

"Seem pretty eager to return to the office." He eyed Donovan's duffle bag and took a sip of coffee. "Didn't even stop at your place. You must really love your job."

Donovan wanted to punch Mason for seeing his desperation.

Had Carter seen it so easily? Did the time apart make her see him in a new light? Was his eagerness to see her a draw back, a sign of weakness? Did it seem clingy?

It all came from missing her.

Question was: had she missed him?

Ignoring Mason, Donovan walked away. He needed information and only one person could give that to him.