A Special Sort of Problem

If you've already read this, then feel free to skip to something else. If not then enjoy!

***********************************

"I have the subject in sight," Carter said. "He's on the move."

Shadows hid her as she rested against a back wall. Her eyes scanned the chaotic scene before her. The room thrummed with voices and pulsating music. Lights flashed and colors changed, distracting any unfocused person. But Carter was not thrown by any of it.

"Do you think he will make the play?" she asked.

"His previous MO gives me confidence he will," Donovan said. "But we should be at the ready if anything changes."

Carter switched her gaze to the other occupants of the packed room. The world seemed to be in constant motion as groups broke apart and reformed in different places. 

"I have a group of seven hostiles, ten o'clock," she said. "What is your read on the situation?"

Donovan followed her directions and studied the group of guys huddled in one corner, their backs towards the mayhem.

"I don't sense any threat but we'll keep them in sight."

"Roger that." An approaching form caught Carter's attention. "Heads up, we have activity at 12 o'clock. She's made you. Do you need back up?"

Donovan's mouth twitched. "Do you want to give me back up?"

"I say my involvement is the fastest course of action to neutralizing the threat."

"Then by all means I accept back up."

Carter turned to Donovan, wrapped one arm around his neck and kissed him.

Knowing what had been coming, Donovan reacted right away, holding her close, his hands on her waist. For a second the world stopped and Carter couldn't seem to remember why she had started kissing him, but knew she didn't want to stop.

The girl in the high heels and sparkly dress halted in her steps. With an awkward shuffle, she spun away. Reality returning to her, Carter smiled up at Donovan.

"Threat neutralized."

"I never suspected military tactics would come in handy for Prom."

"I never suspected I would come to Prom."

Donovan gave her a teasing look. "Didn't think anyone would ask you?"

"No, I saw no reason to come. I can't dance."

Crossing his arms, Donovan leaned his shoulder against the wall.

"Interesting, I would have thought, based on your mobility and physique, it wouldn't be that much of a challenge for you."

"Taking down a 200 pound man is a far easier task than moving seductively to a rhythm."

The edge of Donovan's mouth curled. "Who said anything about being seductive?"

"The scene I have been watching for the past forty minutes."

Donovan looked over as if he hadn't been aware of the way the girls, in varying lengths of dresses, had been dancing. The dance floor was crammed with students all moving in ways Carter didn't have a clue how to mimic. Off to the side Link and Maddy danced together. To her surprise, Link looked more capable than she had imagined he would be.

"You don't have to dance like that," Donovan said.

Unable to look at him, she asked, "Would you like it if I did?"