Stepping Out

I realized that there would be a time when Donovan actually wasn't much older than some of the students around him and developed this chapter based on that thought.

***********************************

The school hallway rang with conversations and laughter. It buzzed around Donovan, but he wasn't a part of it. Leaning against a set of lockers with his hands tucked into the pockets of his coat, he was the proverbial fly on the wall, seeing and hearing everything without taking part in it. Outside the front doors snow swirled in small tornadoes, the coldness at odds with the warmth of the school.

Donovan watched the awkward pair across the way with little hope. At fourteen, Link was lanky, bashful, and self-conscious. The girl he talked to appreciated his attention but held a self-satisfied air, believing if one boy paid her attention others would. Link was doomed.

Even from where he stood, Donovan knew that Link's attempts at flirting were poor, but Donovan also knew that if he was by Link it would be worse. He knew that when he stood by his friend, no one seemed to notice Link.

Donovan's focus was diverted when a senior girl approached him. He knew who she was. Everyone did. Kia Mitchell: Valedictorian and Student Body President.

On top of that she was pretty, confident, and driven. She was the type of girl you expected to be President or run her own company. Recently turned eighteen, she was also one of the few students who was the same age as him.

She stopped in front of Donovan with a straight-forward expression. There was no wistful, enamored glint in her chocolate brown eyes. Instead, she looked like she planned to take on an army.

"Hi, Donovan," she said.

Donovan greeted her with his customary silence. Just because she didn't gaze at him with the longing other girls did, didn't mean anything. He'd learned saying nothing at all worked best.

"Okay," she said, not at all offended or fazed by his lack of response. "So I'm going to ask you to go to Winter Formal with me tonight and I know that your answer will be no, but I need to ask it anyways."

This surprised Donovan, but he didn't show it. Kia waved her hand as if he had commented on the strangeness of her statement.

"It's because I wasn't asked to Winter Formal." Donovan had a feeling it wasn't for Kia's lack of attraction, it was that she intimidated most guys. "When I told my mother this, she said,'well you're a feminist, that doesn't mean you can't ask a boy yourself'.

"Which I think is stupid because if I really am a feminist can't I just go by myself? But she doesn't seem to think that's an option. Anyways, I know you'll say no when I ask you and that means I can return home and tell my mother that I asked someone and they said no."

Donovan almost wanted to smile at the explanation. The past two weeks he'd been asked fifteen times. Each time it was an older student and he knew they felt he would be flattered by the offer since he was a freshman. All of them had left disappointed. But Kia's offer was definitely a first.

"Okay, so Donovan will you go to Winter Formal with me?"

"Yes."

"I knew you'd say no and I appreciate...wait what?"

Donovan held her gaze and she frowned. "I don't think you understand. You were supposed to say, 'no'."

"I know."

Kia crossed her arms and huffed, clearly annoyed.

"You're friends with Aubrey Troy," he said.