Over Due

In this I mention the names of former First Ladies (that's the title of the President's wife). I apologize if it's confusing to those of you who don't know them.

***********************************

A spring breeze flirted around Donovan as he headed back to the apartment. Weak sunlight fell over the edge of buildings, waterfalls of white light. Spring was making an entrance into the world through the blush of flowers growing on trees.

As Donovan pushed through the front doors into the lobby, his phone rang. Seeing who it was, he moved off to a secluded corner and set down the grocery bag and answered.

"Hi, Commander," he said.

"Donovan, how is it going?"

The bypass of any form of greeting seemed to always be his father's way as if he were aware of the number of breathes a simple 'how are you doing?' took up.

Rubbing his eyes, Donovan leaned back against the wall. Wrung ragged from broken sleep, false alarms, and emotionally taxing days, he answered more truthfully than he would on a normal day.

"At the end of this there will either be a baby, or I will have killed Carter or she will have killed me."

"Donovan." The sharp rebuke of his father's voice made Donovan stand straight. "Your wife is carrying your daughter, you will have the patience of a thousand men."

"Yes, sir."

On the other end, his father let out a breath. "I know how challenging something like this can be." His voice was still gruff but there was a note of sympathy in it. "You must remember that a life is relying on her and she is relying on you. You can not carry this burden for her, but you can carry her through this."

More than simply a reminder, the words felt like an order, one that Donovan grabbed on to. The Marine in him found safety in orders, it gave direction to life, brought peace in the midst chaos.

"Understood, sir."

"Let us know if there are any developments."

"Will do."

Donovan hung up, the weariness that had been dragging on him dulling. He climbed into the elevator, mentally arming himself. The doors were about to slide shut when someone called out to halt them. Donovan stuck a hand through and Link staggered inside. Exhausted, he slumped against the wall. There were rings under his eyes and he was in a state of complete disarray.

"How are you doing?" Donovan asked.

Link laughed weakly, without opening his eyes. "I haven't slept in a month, Maddy is a saint and Harrison has a set of lungs on him that you would not believe." He lifted his head, smiling. A smile that held a look of pure pride and happiness. "But he's healthy and we're surviving."

Donovan clapped a hand on his shoulder. "I'm happy for you."

Link nodded, the smile morphing into concern. "How's Carter holding up?"

Donovan gripped the paper bag, making it crinkle. "Four days past her due date and well...Let's just say she's ready for the baby to be here."

The elevator stopped and the doors parted.

"Let's us know if you need anything," Link said.

"Thanks."

The two split ways, heading into their apartments. When Donovan walked inside, it was to a soft thump-thump of Carter pacing in their bedroom.

"Carter, I'm back," he said, unloaded the groceries.

Carter appeared in the doorway to the living room. Though past her due date, her belly only looked like she was five months pregnant.